A stupid starter question

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
GrimReaper86
Motorcycle: 1986. GL1200A Aspencade

A stupid starter question

Postby GrimReaper86 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:01 am

I've seen somewhere that the only stupid question is the one not asked, so:

After finally learning how to solder, I was able to get those three yellow wires together (with help from a video from Virgil -thanks). Now it was time to tackle the darn dragging starter on my 86 Aspencade. Now, I've watched the videos I could find along with reading the posts. Clymer says to remove the subframe, but none of the posts mention it. Unfortunately, all the videos I've seen have the starter coming right out. Mine is being stubborn. So I'm confused about this subframe thing. I have the boards and guards off, and the pipes down. But I can't seem to get this subframe off, and there not enough clearance for the starter to come out. In Clymer, one of the subframe bolts is right below the starter, but that's where my kickstand is welded to the frame. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Re: A stupid starter question

Postby flash1942 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:12 am

I just did remove my starter yesterday and I didn't remove the subframe, however the exhaust was removed for refinishing. I did remove one exh stud near the starter to make it easier. If you proceed I would suggest that you do it(starter) on the sidestand and not remove the subframe. The starter is difficult to R&R but it can be done. You may have to slightly rotate the starter splines in order to get it all the way in. Take your time.

GrimReaper86
Motorcycle: 1986. GL1200A Aspencade

Re: A stupid starter question

Postby GrimReaper86 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:39 pm

Success! ! Thanks Flash! I don't think that subframe will ever come off. The patience was the trick, I believe. Wish I could go to a store and get more of it. :)

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”