1984 GL 1200 Clean Carbs without Removing Procedure Needed

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
warmblood58
Motorcycle: 1984 Goldwing Interstate

1984 GL 1200 Clean Carbs without Removing Procedure Needed

Postby warmblood58 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:56 pm

My 1984 bike has not run (until yesterday) for about 2 years I believe (new bike, history unknown) I flushed tank, it's now full with fresh fuel, Seafoam and Startron. I filled floats with seafoam after draining old fuel out which did not look bad, floats soaked for four days and what came out was light gold color indicating some gumming, etc. I started bike yesterday with two feet of fuel line and a funnel as fuel pump is non op. It fired immediately and idled great choked and unchoked but when I revved, bike died so, before I pull all carbs, can I shoot carb cleaner after pulling air cleaner and access other points? I think once I get fresh treated fuel flowing, things will start to free up, or I would at least like to try this first. Any pointers? Thanks!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: 1984 GL 1200 Clean Carbs without Removing Procedure Need

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:34 pm

The good and bad news is, there really isn't any way to clean the carbs on one of these motorcycles (properly) without removal of the entire carb rack. On rare occasions, a person might get by with doping the fuel and running the bike until a slight build-up of internal trash is cleaned out, but if jets are plugged up with varnish, there is no practical way of fixing the trouble without removal. If you have the skills to rebuild them yourself, you will save some labor money... but there are a few guys out there in the world (Pistol Pete is one) who do an excellent job of rebuilding these Honda carb sets in a way that will make you feel like you're the smartest guy in the world for letting them work their magic on your carbs...

I've used a variety of home-brewed gas treatments to clean up carbs that were mildly gummed up, with some success, but the fastest and best way to make that bike run correctly is to rebuild them if they're not working up to snuff...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

warmblood58

Postby warmblood58 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:46 pm

Thanks, yes, I have the skills. I wish there was a fogging agent of some kind that I could slowly introduce via intake. There are some excellent tutorials on removing the rack so . . . . . . here I go (again :-))!

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:06 pm

While you have the carbs out change all of the fuel lines and alos the vacumn lines. It is alot easier to change them now that when on the bike.

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Postby flash1942 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:42 am

I have heard a lot about BG products and how good it cleans and it's widely known in professional circles. For carbs the Injector cleaner is the desired product and not the fuel system cleaner. Reportedly it's light years better than Seafoam, etc. As I understand it auto repair shops routinely use it to clean injectors and charge a ton to do it too. Google BG products and find a repair shop or a car dealer that will sell you some. Don't think it's found in the usual places like auto parts stores, etc. I haven't tried it yet but from what I hear it has cleaned so well that carb teardown didn't need to be done.

warmblood58

Postby warmblood58 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:41 pm

seems like I could pull diaphragms and shoot some carb clean down carb throats to clean out idle circuit and then take bike on a ride to clear things out. My goal for now is to get bike running normally to make other assessments but a carb tear down in the spring seems to be in order.

flash1942

Postby flash1942 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:46 pm

Shooting cleaner down the carbs won't do much good except to burn up your cleaner. BG injector cleaner in the fuel tank will do a good job short of rebuilding the carbs. Seafoam or other cleaners do help but may take a large amount to do it. I would try to locate BG instead of doing the carbs, which is a BIG time consuming job. Your call. INMHO

warmblood58

Postby warmblood58 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:28 pm

Right now, Bike starts and idles fine but cannot get bike to rev due to blocked main jets and other I am guessing- I am not sure how the BG product will work given the current status of carbs . .

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:15 pm

I am unaware of any cleaner-type product that will clear up plugged jets... partially plugged, perhaps... Maybe that BG stuff can "eat" through a blockage, I don't know because I've never used it, nor do I personally know anyone who has or does use it. I'm not saying it won't work. I'm saying I will be amazed to learn it (or anything else for that matter) will clean that well.

I did "Google" it, and discovered I can buy it for about 30$ for a "can." I didn't get into it enough to learn how far a can will go, as in, do you dump the entire contents of the can into 5 gallons of fuel and run the engine. I think at some point, you just stop monkeying with some things and fix them... and I think motorcycle carburetors with funked up main jets fall into that category... again, if it were sputtering a little or missing a little, I'd try doping the gas, but in your case I think I'd pull and rebuild them or send them to someone who is an expert in this sort of thing and have them take care of them for me.

I know the price of a "custom shop" kind of rebuild looks expensive on paper, but by the time you pay for rebuild kits (GOOD ones) and factor in the amount of labor involved, it's a bargain to get properly working carbs to put on your bike... which if well cared for, will probably not need rebuilding again during the life of the engine.

Just my 4$ worth

warmblood58 wrote:Right now, Bike starts and idles fine but cannot get bike to rev due to blocked main jets and other I am guessing- I am not sure how the BG product will work given the current status of carbs . .
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

flash1942

Postby flash1942 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:00 am

I think this BG product is like a "secret" bomb that auto shops use in their injector cleaning machines. It isn't widely known outside of the auto shops that have a cleaning machine. I had a shop quote me a injector cleaning job and was shocked at the $150 price. I don't know first hand because I havent needed the product but it may be worth a try in place of a carb job if it works as good as I hear. Plugged jets may be another problem. I agree with you on dosing every once in a while keeps problems at bay especially with the gasoline quality of today never mind the ethanol . I usually dose my gas every couple tanks or so and try to use pure gas if I can.

Ace1Hunter
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Postby Ace1Hunter » Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:04 am

This a the only way to fix your carb problem speaking from experience other then rebuilding your carbs. Ck this link out viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24543&start=25

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:28 pm

the consensus with other goldwing folk I know, is that 1/2 a bottle of wyns injector cleaner to a full tank of gas, does wonders on cleaning cards, but this on bikes that are rideable. Also as a continued maintenance a couple of caps of ATF fluid, occasionally to a full tank of gas also helps.

I have used the injector cleaner not long after I brought the bike, as there was a backfire, took it for long run with it on board, I was told to "give the bike a bit of stick" through the gears, a friend told me later a short plume of blue smoke shot out of exhausts but ever since I have never had carb problems. I also now and again use the ATF fluid, particularly if I'm headed away on a long trip.

I cant honestly say whether these ideas do work, but I can say that in 8 years I have never had to touch the carbs.

warmblood58

Postby warmblood58 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:52 am

I may just buy a used set of carbs and rebuild. I had drained floats originally after filling with seafoam - nothing looked bad running out, slight goldish color and that was it. Tank is full with Startron and Seafoam added. I was hoping there was a way to clean via intake or other, at least to get a better throttle response (dies upon revving) and then let the additives do their work as bike is running. Oh well, carbs should be cleaned anyway along with new fuel line for safety. Thanks!

tprender
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200
1995 GL1500SE

Postby tprender » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:16 am

Why, buy a set of used carbs? They might be is worst shape that what you have if they have been setting. That set will need to be cleaned, so just clean the set that you have on the bike. Just because what came of the drain plugs looked good is not a reason to buy carbs. All that you need to do is to take the carbs off and clean out the jets with a fine wire and some spray. You will need to sync the carbs when done on either set after it has been started.

warmblood58

Postby warmblood58 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:39 pm

There was a clean looking set on EBay for 50.00 - I would clean/rebuild and swap out the same day and then rebuild second set and either sell or keep in storage for future needs -

Mh434
Motorcycle: 1997 gl1500 SE
Previous:
1981 GL1100I
1989 Kawasaki Concours

Postby Mh434 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:36 pm

I suppose it couldn't hurt to try a healthy dose of Seafoam, since the bike does run. I've used it myself and, although it does take time (and tanks of gas) to work, it did completely clean out my clogged idle jets & get the bike back to running perfectly again.

It's worth a shot before de-racking the carbs, IMHO...

warmblood58

Postby warmblood58 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Iknow one thing, before I pull carbs I am going to install a working FP and then go from there - gravity feeding fuel may just be a big part of the current problem, thanks!

warmblood58

Postby warmblood58 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Success! I think I might have got lucky! Santa brought a new Mitsubishi fuel pump and upon changing filter and FP I started bike. It started fine but once again, as I attempted to rev engine, engine would start to choke and die. Bike idled for about ten minutes and would hold idle unchoked and gradually, I found that I was able to start to rev engine ever so slowly and soon carbs started to clear and I could rev engine. I had drained old fuel over a month ago and fill tank with fresh fuel with Startron and SeaFoam. Carb floats were filled twice first with Seafoam/gas/ and then with straight sea foam for 4-5 days. Not much came out upon draining but I did notice that fluid had a golden cast from varnish, but not bad. My sense is that this bike needs a road trip and then things should start to get better, I have Randaaks carb rebuiding kit which I look forward to using, but for now, I think carbs are starting to clear with treated fuel. Fan did not kick in I noticed . . . . . charging system was working though. Now on to research why fan did not kick in as temps rose. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and advice!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”