Clutch issue ,time to find problem

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Iaustin
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200 interstate

Clutch issue ,time to find problem

Postby Iaustin » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:44 pm

On my last little ride this fall I lost the clutch on my 86 inerstate.i managed to get it home just couldn't stop and get started again ,checked fluid it was pretty much empty ,question is how to bleed it and is slave internal or external . I'm sure it's probaly has been asked before,just couldn't find it in forums.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Clutch issue ,time to find problem

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 10:11 pm

If something like that were to ever happen to you again, on the road, it is sometimes possible to simply refill the reservoir and pump the clutch lever to get the clutch slave cylinder to work again. Of course, that doesn't fix the problem you (probably) have, which I suspect is a leaking seal on the slave cylinder. Both the master and slave cylinder(s) on the 1200's can be rebuilt without a lot of trouble. The slave cylinder can be accessed from the right side of the bike, on the rear of the engine. If you remove the left side cover and crouch down, you should be able to see the clutch line where it is attached to the slave cylinder on the clutch housing cover.

I wish I had a good picture of it.. but it is pretty straight forward to remove and rebuild the slave cylinder, and there's a bleeder on it as well.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Iaustin

Postby Iaustin » Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:38 am

Thanks I'll pull off the cover and have a look ,definitely lost it somewhere

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:22 am

The clutch fluid (which is DOT4 brake fluid) more than likely is in your crankcase, which is not a good place for it to be... however, the banjo bolt or bleeder MAY be loose, allowing the fluid to have spilled out on the ground... in which case you should see some residue in the area of those two items.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:43 am

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:The clutch fluid (which is DOT4 brake fluid) more than likely is in your crankcase, which is not a good place for it to be... however, the banjo bolt or bleeder MAY be loose, allowing the fluid to have spilled out on the ground... in which case you should see some residue in the area of those two items.

Correct. If you see evidence of fluid leaking around the slave banjo bolt fitting, that's a fairly good indication that the leak is external. If not...then a seal in the slave has likely failed, and is leaking your clutch fluid into your crankcase. This is a very good way to quickly destroy your main bearings, and subsequently your engine. Rebuild your slave cylinder, then flush your crankcase and refill with fresh oil.

Iaustin

Postby Iaustin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:03 pm

I have the side covers off ,I see slave cyl it's sitting on a larger cover do I need to pull larger cover off or just slave.there is no obvious leaks around bleeder or where line comes in,it's A little grimy but no fluid

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:44 pm

The slave cylinder can be removed and rebuilt without taking the cover off. I was just informed that the seal inside the cover can't be removed without taking the cover off... so, I suppose if you can get all the parts, have the time to do the "complete" job, and don't mind doing more than the minimum, I'd suggest removing the slave cylinder, removing the cover, cleaning the old cover gasket off, replacing the inner oil seal, rebuilding the slave cylinder and then putting it all back together again...

Iaustin wrote:I have the side covers off ,I see slave cyl it's sitting on a larger cover do I need to pull larger cover off or just slave.there is no obvious leaks around bleeder or where line comes in,it's A little grimy but no fluid

Iaustin

Postby Iaustin » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Time is now just have to find some parts

HawkeyeGL1200
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:17 pm

Do you have the GL1200 parts manual? I can't remember where I got mine from, but I do remember I downloaded it for free in .pdf format (may have been right here lol).. and if you need a copy for part numbers, send me your email address by way of PM and I'll shoot a file to your email.

There are a few folks on Ebay that sell "kits" for slave and master cylinders... but I can't tell you where you can get the gasket and oil seal... if you get in a bind, don't suffer in silence.

Iaustin

Postby Iaustin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:15 am

Thanks I'm going to check the Honda dealer tomorrow see what I can get there

Iaustin

Postby Iaustin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:23 am

Didn't find the kit but shipping new one from toronto

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”