Fogging Mufflers for winterizing

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Fogging Mufflers for winterizing

Postby SilverDave » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:03 pm

Well, since the snow was flying around last week ( In Vancouver ??!!?? ) I decided , since I had paid for a carb re-build last year, to do a good job of winterizing :
New oil/new filter/topped up antifreeze, 1/2 can of Seafoam, and 2 glugs of red gas preservative in gas tank, all saddle bags empty, and dryer sheets placed everywhere, radio, and all gear removed to inside, battery tender clipped on, gas fuel valve "off"
and then engine run till carbs emptied ...
This machine has four 1.25 turndown exhaust exits...- almost 90° down ... they look cool, but ...

Has anyone got any clever ways to fog the mufflers with WD-40, thru the turndowns , after I warm it up, one last time ??

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Fogging Mufflers for winterizing

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:47 am

Hm. That's a good question.

Perhaps a compressed-air powered aerosol sprayer with a bendable tube, filled with WD-40? I don't know if I've ever seen such a thing, so it might take a bit of fabrication to do. Perhaps make it out of a cheap Harbor Freight air brush kit?

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Fogging Mufflers for winterizing

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:21 am

If stored in a fairly temperature stable environment, I do not know of any advantage of coating the inside of the tailpipes and mufflers with oil. If I were to decide to do such a thing, WD-40 would not be my choice of oil to do such a thing with. If you're convicted to do such a thing, I'd recommend mixing 2-cycle oil with some gasoline, and then running that through the engine, mixed "heavy" in order to fog everything downstream of the exhaust valves with oil laden exhaust and then run it out of that fuel mix in a more or less fogged condition. Introducing the oil coating from the tips back into the headers will surely make for a difficult (at best) operation to get everything coated... WD-40 tends to attract dust and other bits of trash to it like a magnet... not saying any other oil won't do the same thing...

In a stable environment, condensation won't form and rust won't follow.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”