Clutch slave cylinder

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Oldflyer
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A Aspencade

Clutch slave cylinder

Postby Oldflyer » Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:38 pm

1984 GL 1200 A I have removed the slave cylinder to clean up and replace seals. Question: How is the seal in the clutch cover removed? Is it possible to remove and replace the old seal in the clutch cover without having to remove the cover itself? It appears that it may be easier to remove that clutch cover to remove and replace the old seal (this is the forward most push rod seal.) Thought it best to confer with the experts before doing something that I might regret! Any hints will be most appreciated. The Clymer service manual does not address this problem.

Happy New Year!
Bill Salisbury (Oldflyer)

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Clutch slave cylinder

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Are you referring to the clutch cover gasket or the oil seal on the slave cylinder? The slave cylinder can be removed, rebuilt and installed without removing the clutch cover, including the seals... the clutch cover must be removed in order to replace the clutch cover gasket.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Oldflyer

Postby Oldflyer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:49 pm

I have removed all 8 fasteners that hold the clutch cover to the engine. The cover slides aft about 3/8"but refuses to move back any further. I have checked to see if there is anything preventing it from moving further and there is nothing that I can see. At this stage of the game, I am tempted to put the clutch cover back on and forget about replacing the oil seal for the clutch pushrod. This is the forward most seal inside of the clutch cover. That seal has not been leaking. My thoughts were to replace that seal just to prevent the possibility of leakage. I have all of the parts for rebuilding the slave cylinder.

I am listening-----any ideas?

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:45 pm

some years ago, I put a kit in the slave cylinder without replacing the seal around the push rod, and worked fine, not saying yours might not leak, but it might be prudent to go with repairing the slave cylinder and see what happens, because with no leaks from the slave cylinder there shouldn't be an issue with fluid leaking into the oil.

Someone might like to correct me on this but I think the motor needs to be either moved or removed, to gain access to the clutch cover. its the same issue with stator problems the cover has to come off to gain access, and the only way is to move or remove the motor.

Oldflyer

Postby Oldflyer » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:40 pm

Thank you, Oldishwinger for your response and advice. It escapes me as to why this cover will not move further aft, since there is room for it to do so. I will probably just put the cover back on and then attach the overhauled slave cylinder and go through the filling and bleeding process.

I know that you are enjoying summer time where you live and we are in the middle of winter. Working in my garage, lying on the concrete floor so that I can see what I am doing with that cover, is not my idea of fun. Looking forward to more riding instead of twisting wrenches, is more appealing to me. If a warm day does come along before I have this one back together, I will have to ride my "other bike". Many thanks!

Bill

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:14 pm

Oldflyer wrote:Thank you, Oldishwinger for your response and advice. It escapes me as to why this cover will not move further aft, since there is room for it to do so. I will probably just put the cover back on and then attach the overhauled slave cylinder and go through the filling and bleeding process.

I know that you are enjoying summer time where you live and we are in the middle of winter. Working in my garage, lying on the concrete floor so that I can see what I am doing with that cover, is not my idea of fun. Looking forward to more riding instead of twisting wrenches, is more appealing to me. If a warm day does come along before I have this one back together, I will have to ride my "other bike". Many thanks!

Bill

You are most welcome and glad to help if I can. yes currently we are at 30C blue skies and I have know idea why I'm sitting at home LOL! best of luck with your project

Oldflyer

Postby Oldflyer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:42 pm

A follow up of the project, just to let you know that all is well. I did the overhaul of the clutch slave cylinder, replacing the piston, the cup (main seal around the piston) and the little seal in the end of the piston for the aft end of the push rod. Since I was having trouble trying to get the clutch cover removed from the back of the engine, I decided to forget about replacing that forward most seal in the clutch cover (the old seal was not leaking any engine oil) and put the clutch cover back on. A concern was not being able to replace the clutch cover gasket which was still intact. I put it back together and had difficulty bleeding the clutch slave cylinder until I broke the seal at the clutch master cylinder. Once the air was released up top, the bleeding went on without any trouble and the bike was buttoned up and ready to ride. I took a 50 mile test ride and the clutch operates perfectly and there are no hydraulic leaks nor any engine oil leaks that the clutch cover junction. Lucked out on that one! The last step was the change the engine oil and filter, to be sure that there was no hydraulic fluid in the engine oil. I believe that all of the slave cylinder hydraulic oil leaking was coming out of the joint of the slave cylinder and the clutch cover and none of the leaking oil ever got into the engine oil.

Thanks to all who offered their comments and encouragement.

Bill

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”