Higth after F progressive springs?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
briand53
Motorcycle: 1986 1200GL A

Higth after F progressive springs?

Postby briand53 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:37 pm

Considering progressive front springs but at 5'8" I feel at minimum height on my 86 Aspincade slow parking speeds. Yes the suspension is soft in the front so progressive is a good option. I would like to know if the springs will rise the front at all from anyone that has gone to them. If you have and found no height change, then what length of tube did you use? No need for a quick response as here in Canada I have 4 months no riding. Brian.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Higth after F progressive springs?

Postby oldishwinger » Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:37 pm

Nice looking aspy, same year and same colour as mine, I'm not sure what you mean by what size tube used, but I have progressives installed in the front on mine.

There is no change in height at all, the ride is a little stiffer, but the bike definitely handles better, at slow and highway speeds. I had to make couple of changes, I set the TRAC system to its softest, and have no air in the forks. The spring manufacturers recommend 15 wt fork oil, but I found Hondas recommendation of AFT works just fine.

They come with installation instructions, overall I'm glad I put them in

briand53
Motorcycle: 1986 1200GL A

Postby briand53 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks for the reply oldishwinger! Your machine looks mighty fine Too! The springs are used so there won't be any instructions with them but for $40 you can't go wrong. Since I have only owned this ride for a year I'm still not completely knowledgeable on how to tear if down and get it back together yet, but looking forward to getting to it. Even though it's 29 years old it really rides like a dream. I welded up a trailer hitch to it so next year it's towing. I'd go darkside but the narrow rear tire is a bit hard to come by around here.
I have a set of progressive springs for my V*1300 (yet to be installed) and others say cut a piece of plastic tube between 2.75-3.5" for this ride (final stiffener) depending on how stiff you want the ride. This probably won't apply since we have the air adjustment option. So is there a preference of transmition fluid to use?
If your in an area you can still ride, "have a run for me will Ya" IT"S -15C HERE TODAY!
Ride Safe! Brian

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:08 pm

briand53 wrote:Thanks for the reply oldishwinger! Your machine looks mighty fine Too! The springs are used so there won't be any instructions with them but for $40 you can't go wrong. Since I have only owned this ride for a year I'm still not completely knowledgeable on how to tear if down and get it back together yet, but looking forward to getting to it. Even though it's 29 years old it really rides like a dream. I welded up a trailer hitch to it so next year it's towing. I'd go darkside but the narrow rear tire is a bit hard to come by around here.
I have a set of progressive springs for my V*1300 (yet to be installed) and others say cut a piece of plastic tube between 2.75-3.5" for this ride (final stiffener) depending on how stiff you want the ride. This probably won't apply since we have the air adjustment option. So is there a preference of transmition fluid to use?
If your in an area you can still ride, "have a run for me will Ya" IT"S -15C HERE TODAY!
Ride Safe! Brian

No tubing required for the 1200, the springs will fit right in as they are, you may find they sit a bit lower than the OEM springs but that's fine just put the caps back on as normal. You may need assistance to get the caps back on, as there still will quite a bit tension in the progressive springs to push down on. Also, take care taking the caps off the forks, there is a lot of pressure under them.

No preference in make of Auto Transmission oil, Just be sure to put the correct amount in. (when empting the old fluid, go through each number on the TRAC system and compress the fork to get the oil out of that as well.)

lol well here in New Zealand we are in the middle of summer currently the day is cloudless skies and temp 28C so yep its great weather for riding, unfortunately I'm waiting on a slave cyclinder to stop a clutch fluid leak, but I will be riding once that is done.

For a 29 year bike, IMHO the 1200 is a great ride once its set up mine has carried me all over the place with no issues, albeit the odd maintenance issue pops up now again.

I'm sure yours will give you great pleasure and joy as well, good luck with your endeavours.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”