Fuel cut relay?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Rhale
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200
2001 KLR 650

Fuel cut relay?

Postby Rhale » Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:24 pm

Thanks for your time,

My friend and I are working on a Gl1200 and have found a melted down relay we believe is the fuel cut relay. We discovered this while doing the alternator mod. We also have a problem with spark on the back two plugs. Can anyone tell me if these two things could be related or are these two separate issues.

Thanks again for your input.

RHale

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Fuel cut relay?

Postby WingAdmin » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:00 pm

Both rear plugs work off the left coil, so if they are both weak, that's the place to start looking:
Attachments
Coil/plug layout
Coil/plug layout

Rhale
2001 KLR 650

Postby Rhale » Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:26 pm

Thank you for your quick response WingAdmin, your time and devotion to this forum is much appreciated.

We have checked the coil and found them both the same, as far as ohms are concerned. They are both about 14.5 ohms at the spark plug terminals. We believe that the pulse generator has been changed out in the past because the wire colors do not match the schematics that we found on this site. Thanks for that info as well. The plugs have been cut out and the wires were soldered together. The colors on the pulse generator side are 3 yellows and a green. We thought that they went to the stator so we cut them in the clear. Then later we saw the other three yellow wires and realized our mistake. We are have tried to figure out how to re hook up these wires and can only get the right coil to fire. While looking for a resistor we found the burnt fuel relay and hoped that it may do more than one job. This is a long story and my typing is laborious, so that is why the abbreviated version earlier.

Should we keep looking for the resistor?
Do you know where it may be?
Could this actually be a problem with the pulse generator?
Do you have any suggestions on how to hook up the pulse generator?

Thanks again for you help.

Rhale

Rhale
2001 KLR 650

Postby Rhale » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:09 pm

We now have managed to have spark on all cylinders but the back are weak. The coils ohm out the same however when we removed the topside of the coils we found that we had 11 volts on the black/white wire on the right side coil. This does not make sense to us. We disconnected the pulse generator and still have the same voltage. This is with the key on. The only thing that we can think of is that two wires have melted together. Does this sound correct or is there some other option that we are missing?

Thanks for the help.

Rhale
2001 KLR 650

Postby Rhale » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:04 pm

To anyone who might know,
We now have a manual. We learned that the wire should be hot. The coils test fine. We now have two issues that we know of.

1. Weak spark on the rear plugs. Unsure of how to test the pulse generator.
2. Fule pump runs constantly. Not sure what this means is wrong.

Any help on these issues would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

I can provide more info if is necessary.

We can start and run the bike. Fuel does not stop pumping, but if unplugged after carbs are full it will run fine until it runs out of gas.

piehl67
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200 aspencade

Postby piehl67 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:24 pm

did you get it running i have the same problem have ordered a fuel cut off relay. just wandering if that will fix problem when i get it.

jdvorchak
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
2000 HD Dyna FXDX
1984 GL1200 STD

Postby jdvorchak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:40 pm

as for the weak spark how are you determining this? Is is missing and those plugs are fouled with carbon and look black? As for the fuel pump running is it tick tick ticking constantly or just every few seconds. Normal to tick tick tick when you first start it to fill the carb bowls but then at idle it should only tick about every few seconds to maintain that level. The two items could be related. The back two carbs may be flooding the rear cylinders and that is why you think you have weak spark. You will have to remove the carbs and make sure that they are clean inside and the floats are set per the manual. This is very critical on the float settings. Too high and it runs way too rich. Too low and too lean.

Have you synced the carbs yet?

jdvorchak
Motorcycle: 2001 GL1800
2000 HD Dyna FXDX
1984 GL1200 STD

Postby jdvorchak » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:46 pm

One more thought. The fuel cut off relay is what supplies power to the fuel pump while the bike is vertical. I think there is also a lean sensor that detects if you drop the bike and then shuts off the fuel flow via that cut off relay. The fuel pump will pump until it feels the back pressure of the float bowls restricting the flow, carb bowls full, then once the bowls empty a bit the pressure is released and the pump pumps until the floats shut off the flow.

I could be thinking of another bike with the lean sensor and fuel cut off. You can check your manual to see if there is a lean or bank sensor and fuel cut off relay.

piehl67

Postby piehl67 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:51 pm

how did you get spark back to the rear cylinders?i am having that problem plus they hard wired my fuel pump.

Rhale
2001 KLR 650

Postby Rhale » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:10 pm

All is well. The fuel cut relay and the coils are all connected to the pulse generator through the computer box. This means if one is bad weird things can result.

We were testing spark by the use of an inline spark tester.

We were using the schematics from this site as our only reference until the manual arrived. In that diagram the top plug coming from the pulse generator had the blue and yellow wires bonded. This is not so in the manual. When we separated them all worked well.

I guess that the primary circuit was not completely collapsing for the left coil causing week spark.

As for the fuel pump not shutting off, this is done by back pressure as stated above you can test the pump by unplugging the fuel cut relay and installing a jumper between the black and white wires this should cause the pump to run until it gets back pressure. The fuel cut relay does seem to be a safety feature, but I am unsure how it works. We tried to use an aftermarket pump that did not function the same way, thus our problem.

If someone tells me how I will try to get a scanned copy of the better schematic sent to an admin to post for others if needed.
Thanks for all the help

Rhale
2001 KLR 650

Postby Rhale » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:17 pm

Piehl67, You may wish to check a plug on the lefthand side of the bike just below the seat. It has 4 wires on top and bottom. I think that the top is yellow, blue, white/green, and white/blue while the bottom may be three yellows and a green. It often goes bad. This could be shorting two or more wires together causing your problem.

You could also switch the leads to the coils and see if the week spark changes to the opposite plugs.

Make sure that the coil bracket is bolted in though because that is part of the coils grounding system.

Good luck I will try to help more if you need.

piehl67

Postby piehl67 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:26 pm

thanks for the info rhale.i just boughtthis bike and seen that the fuel pump is hard wired for some reason and i tested the fuel relay and it test bad so i am going to get a new one and also look at those wires in the plug like you said and see if that works for me.once again thanks for the info

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”