fixing broken fairing -mirror mount

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

fixing broken fairing -mirror mount

Postby deanbw » Thu Jan 15, 2015 3:30 pm

OK, I bought this bike a few months ago and have just started playing with it a little. The first thing I wanted to fix was the mirror mount on the fairing, the PO had dropped it in the trailer he stored it in and broke it.
I first cleaned out all the loose pieces, then marked where I could drill mounting holes.
Attachments
next came a paper pattern
next came a paper pattern
the rough shape in stainless, yea it's rough
the rough shape in stainless, yea it's rough
rough fitting the part
rough fitting the part
starting to look like something with pockets welded in
starting to look like something with pockets welded in
aluminum nut plates for the back side
aluminum nut plates for the back side
fits tight
fits tight
ready for the mirror, with stock nut plate also installed, came out very ridged. moral of this story.....don't break your mirror mount, it's a pain in the.......neck, yea neck will work
ready for the mirror, with stock nut plate also installed, came out very ridged. moral of this story.....don't break your mirror mount, it's a pain in the.......neck, yea neck will work

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: fixing broken fairing -mirror mount

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:04 am

Wow, that's a great repair. I bet it is stronger than the original.

deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

Postby deanbw » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:15 pm

Thank you WingAdmin, yes if it falls on that side again it's going to take the whole side off the fairing. My friend was working on his bike the same time (you see his triumph tank I just finished painting in the background), and said " why didn't you make one for the other side at the same time? I told him to shut up and I would never need it because I'm not ever going to break it.

deanbw

Postby deanbw » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:10 pm

this repair worked good for the load that it will have to take, but I am wondering if any one has found a good way to repair ABS for regular bodywork. I have a small crack in a side bag and a corner to repair on a lid. I could replace them but if I can repair them...even better.
I have heard of melting pieces of ABS in ABS glue and making a paste. I know 3M makes a sytem and there is Plasti-fix, but I have never used them.
So....if anyone has used anything that works and holds up well, I would love to hear about it.
Thank you.

alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Postby alanc1100 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:35 pm

ABS plastic cement will not just "glue" the crack, but will melt the ABS plastic a tad bit becoming one piece again. Make sure it is ABS only! ABS plastic pipe shavings/pellets and MEK mixed in a Mason jar is virtually the same thing. I hope this helps you.
Alanc1100

86pearlblue
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a

Postby 86pearlblue » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:18 am

Wow! Great fix! the PO of mine also broke the left side mount and I've been racking my brain about a fix! Thanks! One question... how did you form the "pockets"?

deanbw

Postby deanbw » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:37 am

86pearlblue, first, thank you.
What I did to make the pockets was first mark on my plate where the mount bolts hit.
I pre fit the plate by first marking on the fairing where I could drill holes, I tranferred those positions to my plate, that is the lines you see in the first couple pictures.
I drilled the holes in the plate first, then held it in place and drilled the fairing.
I then put two screws through, one at top one at bottom, no nuts needed this is just rough fitting.
I took the mount off the mirror and held it in place, I drew a circle around each mirror mount with a felt pen.
One I drilled out, the other I drilled around to make a "U" (see picture).
I then bent the "U" back until the mount boss fit pretty close.
The mirror mount boss now fit into the bent back "U" and the other mount boss protruded through the other hole. Now, holding the chrome trim for the windshield in place I measured from the plate to the tab (see pic of rough fit) to get my set back dimension, I measured at the top of the hole and the bottom, .220 out at top and .350 in at bottom in my case (you can see in picture how the pocket sticks out at top and sticks in at bottom).
I made a plate to fit the hole tacked it adjusted it to get my dimensions.
I then just cut strips about the width of the set back, bent them in "U" shapes, tigged them in place and ground off the excess.
Once I had the pockets formed I put it back on the bike, held the mirror mount in place and marked the holes for the mounting bosses.
I'm sorry if it sounds confusing, I wish I took a few pics of the fab stages.

auctioneeral
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Postby auctioneeral » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:03 am

ABS cement. got at lowes. And a small section of black abs pipe. shave the pipe for shaving and mix with the abs cement. Works great. I'm working on my fairing now and its working out great.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:55 am

deanbw wrote:this repair worked good for the load that it will have to take, but I am wondering if any one has found a good way to repair ABS for regular bodywork. I have a small crack in a side bag and a corner to repair on a lid. I could replace them but if I can repair them...even better.
I have heard of melting pieces of ABS in ABS glue and making a paste. I know 3M makes a sytem and there is Plasti-fix, but I have never used them.
So....if anyone has used anything that works and holds up well, I would love to hear about it.
Thank you.

Have a look at this topic: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3246

When I have cracks to repair, my universal fix is either just ABS glue, or if it's a larger crack (or is structural), use ABS glue to bond (sister) another piece of ABS to the back of it. A lot of the time it fixes the cracks so well that you can no longer see where the crack was in the painted side.

Make sure however it is ABS glue, not PVC - the important element is MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) - that's the stuff that chemically "melts" the ABS. If you're in a fix, you can buy MEK at a hardware store, but it's a lot harder to work with than ABS glue.

Incidentally, if your ABS glue starts getting old and thick, adding some MEK to it makes it like new!

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:20 am

deanbw wrote:this repair worked good for the load that it will have to take, but I am wondering if any one has found a good way to repair ABS for regular bodywork. I have a small crack in a side bag and a corner to repair on a lid. I could replace them but if I can repair them...even better.
Thank you.

I have used Plastaid http://www.plast-aid.com/ and Plastex http://www.plastex.net/ recently since I had a bit of an accident in August of last year. Both work quite well. It saved me a few hundred dollars.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

deanbw

Postby deanbw » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:43 am

thanks for the ideas, I'll look into those links as well.

Alemayehu
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100
1987 Honda GL1200

Postby Alemayehu » Mon Mar 30, 2015 2:54 am

Hi there I did fix the luggage top box was cracked in two three pieces and covered by some kind of tape where I was not in able to see it during the time of purchase covered by the mate.First of all I did use very thin 20mm flat stain less still plate to put together the broken part and attached it by rebate.Any way I did research a lot to save money & I was not in able to find ABS cement but instead I got plumbers glue called PVC cement and it works great very happy I will edit and upload a photo so that some can see it what I come up with.
God bless!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:01 am

Alemayehu wrote:Hi there I did fix the luggage top box was cracked in two three pieces and covered by some kind of tape where I was not in able to see it during the time of purchase covered by the mate.First of all I did use very thin 20mm flat stain less still plate to put together the broken part and attached it by rebate.Any way I did research a lot to save money & I was not in able to find ABS cement but instead I got plumbers glue called PVC cement and it works great very happy I will edit and upload a photo so that some can see it what I come up with.
God bless!

The ABS cement is becoming harder to find in hardware stores. It can still be bought relatively cheaply online: http://www.amazon.com/Oatey-30916-Speci ... ingdocs-20

If you're really stuck, you can make your own: buy some Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK for short, any paint store should have it), and use it to dissolve some ABS shavings.

Alemayehu
Motorcycle: 1983 Honda GL1100
1987 Honda GL1200

Postby Alemayehu » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:56 am

Thank you so much Wingadmin I will do as you advice.May God bless you!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”