85 LTD Fuel Injection help needed.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Roy Sharp
Motorcycle: 1984 Aspencade
1985 Aspencade LTD

85 LTD Fuel Injection help needed.

Postby Roy Sharp » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:45 pm

I recently purchased an 85 LTD from an estate sale. It has 37000 KMs on hte odometer and hasn't been ridden since 1996. As you might expect, the gas tank was a write-off. I picked one up from a bike that was running when it came off the road to part it out. I have that installed, installed a new from Honda fuel filter and everything seems hunky dory, except it wont start. The first injector test the manual suggests is to turn the bike on and crack the throttle. You're supposed to hear the injector "click". They don't elaborate as to what the click is supposed to sound like or how loud it should be. I can hear a click when the key goes on, the fuel pump runs for a few seconds then shuts off, but when I crack the throttle I don't hear a noticeable click. I hear something that might be a very quiet click, but that's it. Any opinions on that would be good to hear. The injectors have the proper impedence according to my Clymer manual. I have spark if I remove a plug and clamp it to the frame. I don't get any lights on the control module. None. Is there supposed to be anything visible there so you know it's still alive? Are there any nondestructive tests for the control module? The guy I got the tank from still had the contol module, so I think I will buy it on spec, but how can you tell it's OK? I am working my way through the manual, but I think I may be at a dead end. I'm better at mechanical stuff than electronics.

So that's where I'm at. The bike is in exceptionally good condition. The paint, chrome and upholstery are all in grade A trim. Now I just need to get it running. If anyone knows a Fuel Injection Savant I would love to get a referal. I live in Brantford, Ontario, Canada. My garage is somewhat heated so if someone does house calls, we'll be relatively comfortable. I have a trailer so can travel anywhere within reason.

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: 85 LTD Fuel Injection help needed.

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:21 pm

IF you can hear the fuel injectors "click" - that is a good sign.

However you will more than likely need to get the injectors cleaned.

They will be all gummed up from sitting so long.

Roy Sharp
1985 Aspencade LTD

Postby Roy Sharp » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:23 am

Thanks Aussie. Is there a standard method for cleaning the injectors? Would it be the same as you'd use on a car?

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:50 am

I've seen people on youtube do their own "in house" methods of cleaning injectors.

I wouldn't bother - spend the money - it doesn't cost that much - get them serviced properly as there are fine gauze filters in each one, and any reputable service would normally clean and flow test the injectors and possibly give you a report on their flow rate as well. All this and know that your injectors are not an issue with the bike running. Make sure you also clean the fuel rail/rails of any build up and of course the fuel filter and tank - no good doing the work then pushing crap back through them.

cheers

firstwing85
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
1983 V65 Magna

Postby firstwing85 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:29 pm

The LTD has a screen filter in the fuel line going into the fuel pump,
Did you pull the fuel line off and check to make sure that filter is not clogged?
If it is you will not get enough fuel flow or Preasure for that engine to run.
Johan

Roy Sharp
1985 Aspencade LTD

Postby Roy Sharp » Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:02 am

Thanks to all who had some input on my problem. In the end, it turned out to be the injectors just like Aussie said. I knew they would probably be gummed up but I expected I would get some flow through them. Apparently not. I had them cleaned and flow tested at the local turbo shop and reinstalled them yesterday. The Limited turned over about 5 times then sprung to life. It idles really smooth and the throttle response is excellent. I just have to reassemble the bike now and solve some brake and air suspension issues, but it's a tremendous relief to have the engine running. Thanks again for all your help.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”