short rant about crap wiring

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

short rant about crap wiring

Postby deanbw » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:50 am

I just started working on my bike and have been taking it apart to clean and check everything out. I wanted to take trunk off so I took the cover under the light bar off......wow, what crap. It has the kit that makes the sides amber markers and blinkers as well as an alternating flasher for the stop light. Every wire was either spliced with scotch locks (wire taps) or even better they striped a bit of insulation and twisted the wire around and either black tape or get this...shrink tube over a twisted connection.
I took the flasher off, don't want it. then took the factory plug apart so I could solder all connections after cleaning them up and shrink tube everything.
My rant is if you dont know how to wire, fine, but don't make a mess out of a perfectly good piece of equipment. I can't believe the lights even worked as bad as the connections were, a bad connection builds heat causing resistance which can cause other problems, some bad depending on system with bad wiring.
I know you get wire taps with a lot of bought add ons but they suck, solder or good open barrel terminals are the best way to go, even commonly available closed barrel are ok.
So any way I started cleanoing up light bar, still need to put barrel terminals on blinkers and stick zip tie mounts on back to dress wires, but it's better now.

I took the trailer hitch off as well (dont want it either) and the lights on mud flap were just twisted and taped as well, I just can't stand it, I took that plug apart and fixed the tail light wire that was butchered, ie: twisted together.

Ok I'm done with my rant, I think these were the only things the PO touched, (thank God), people asked why I was going to take it all apart after I bought it......this is why.
Thank you for letting me whine

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: short rant about crap wiring

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:22 am

When I opened up the back of my GL1500, I found that a previous owner had done some "custom wiring." They had taken some wires, stripped them, then shoved them into the BACK of existing connectors, hoping they would remain in contact with the terminals. As soon as I removed the trunk under cover, the wires fell out of the connectors and just hung there, bare. Unbelievable.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:22 am

When I purchased this 1200 with matching trailer, someone pointed out that the right flasher caused the left trailer light to flash and vice versa ...

I removed the seat to discover that PO had done the 4-into-3 connections for the trailer with twist and electrical tape as well....
but worse : all 4 wires in this circuit : left, right, brake and liscence light were all in black instead of brown, green , yellow and white .

I spent a happy Saturday sorting all this out , and colour rewiring with proper shrink and solder ...
( and yes ... left-to-left and right-to-right )

so I'd add to the rant ... If you must re-wire ... go to an auto shop and try to get at least some of the correct coloured wire
I know black and white are most common, but ...

LOL

SilverDave

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:31 am

Don't worry, it wont be the last time you see stuff like that. I have done a few old wings that I rebuilt and you would be surprised on what I found, scotch tape on wires, wood screws holding parts and small speaker wires for lights. :shock:

deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

Postby deanbw » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:47 am

flash2002 wrote:Don't worry, it wont be the last time you see stuff like that. I have done a few old wings that I rebuilt and you would be surprised on what I found, scotch tape on wires, wood screws holding parts and small speaker wires for lights. :shock:

HA...I've seen masking tape, but scotch tape is a new one.....beautiful

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:08 pm

I think the scotch tape is so you can clearly see:
- either the cold solder joint ......
or
- tell immediately if the twisted wire connection is un-ravelling ...

LOL

LOL LOL

SilverDave

flash2002
Motorcycle: gold wing 1800

Postby flash2002 » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:43 am

I think someone told him scotch lock and by the time he got home all he could remember was scotch so, you know the end. :lol:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”