water pump replacement

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
mtnwingrider
Motorcycle: 1985 gl1200A Aspencade

water pump replacement

Postby mtnwingrider » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:51 pm

I am replacing the water pump on my 1985 GL1200 Aspencade using the how to replace and remove your water pump tutorial found here. My problem is that when I look at photo #109 it shows a dowel as indicated by the Red number four and arrow. Mine does not have this at all. I have two dowels as indicated by the number three (3) and the one that is shown in the center of the letter G in the goldwingsdoc.com on the bottom. The hole/dowel that is shown by number four (4) isn't there at all. Was this something that was on the 1100 and not on the 1200? Also Admin suggest that you flush with brake cleaner to keep any debris from entering any openings. I am assuming (i know lol) that using that same photo (#109) that the openings into the engine are the ones that have O rings (number 1, 2, 5, 6, and 7). Is the area behind the shifter mech and behind (not into but around) the oil pump ok to flush? Thanks in advance. I hate to keep bothering admin about this but this is a big deal for me as I'm not a mech and don't want to screw this up.

86pearlblue
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a

Re: water pump replacement

Postby 86pearlblue » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:00 am

The only opening I am aware of is in the housing, between the bearings. This opening should be clear. The purpose of it is so if there's a problem with the shaft seal on the pump, it will drain out under the bike (rather than into your oil), giving you a visual indication of a problem. I am rebuilding my pump even now, and I was shocked at the amount of crud, not only in the opening, but built up inside the housing.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: water pump replacement

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:19 pm

86pearlblue wrote:The only opening I am aware of is in the housing, between the bearings. This opening should be clear. The purpose of it is so if there's a problem with the shaft seal on the pump, it will drain out under the bike (rather than into your oil), giving you a visual indication of a problem. I am rebuilding my pump even now, and I was shocked at the amount of crud, not only in the opening, but built up inside the housing.

Check to make sure this opening (the weep hole) is actually open. I have seen two bikes where the water pump bearing seal failed, and the clueless previous owner had "fixed" the leak - one by screwing a wood screw into the hole, the second by sealing the hole up with epoxy. In both cases, it ended up with coolant in the oil as a result.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”