84 aspencade led light and trailer ?'s

Information, ideas, experiences and help with camping, pulling a trailer and roughing it on your Goldwing
  • Sponsored Links
furball751
Motorcycle: 1984 goldwing aspencade
2014 crf250l

84 aspencade led light and trailer ?'s

Postby furball751 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:47 pm

I just acquired a 84 aspencade and have a couple questions.
It has 54000 miles on it and had the front forks worked on carbs rebuilt, new brakes, and all fluids changed in the end of 2013. New tires last spring. All done by po, glad I didn't pay thoes bills. I go it for $2000 though it was a good price. It runs and drives great(that was a cold test ride in the 10° MN winter) I plan on putting new timing belts in it as they are still original, shift shaft oil seal as it is the only leak it has. Air, fuel and oil filter changes also. And doing the stator connector removal, it has bullet connectors not a plastic connector like I see in the posts and they are factory connections. But that makes it all that much more important to do.
Now to my questions, I want to replace all the lights with LED and would like to know if anyone has the aftermarket numbers for them? And my flasher has 4 wires not 3. Is there any one with idea's. It is the the one on the left side under the false tank. The one on the right is the break relay. I can't find any info in the service manual or wiring diagrams.
Also what is the towing capacity of the bike I can't find anything about it, as it has a hitch and I will be using it but don't want to overload it.
All info is much appreciated.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: 84 aspencade led light and trailer ?'s

Postby SilverDave » Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:00 pm

If you replace all the ii57 bulbs with LED's , your flasher won't work properly
LOL !

I'd start by hard soldering/ double shrink wrapping the 3-yellows on the stator, or better yet buy an Electric Connections 1200 harness:

http://electricalconnection.com/index.p ... uct_id=165

and hard solder ALL the iffy, old, corroded connections at the stator and at the reg/rect as well .

Install instructions here :

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=19668

Then clean up the braided ground strap ( Mine was green !! ) and finally install a small digital voltmeter .

All this made a tremendous difference to my GL1200's charging status ......
-----------------------------------
Now drive it for awhile to get used to how rapidly it re-charges after a start ( thats what the small voltmeter is for ! ) ..

Once you have a feel for how well ( or poorly) the stator is charging, start changing the lights to LED's .

Many of those ( expensive ) LED's will make almost no difference to the battery charge( like the brake light ) ... certainly not as much as the braided strap cleanup .

-----------------------------------------------
I tow a smallish utility trailer and usually carefully load it with less than 350 lbs total . If its balanced, (about 30 lbs tongue weight) I can not really tell its there. I have met several Wingers towing tent trailers of almost 500 lbs or more with no problems

but ... If I leave a wet campsite, and just huck heavy, wet stuff into the trailer, I know its unhappy by the way it pulls the rear end of the Wing around ... I stop and get out the fish scale, and re-arrange it all to get everything balanced over the axel , and about 30 lbs on te tongue

The " capacity" for towing is how many mountains / hills you will be going over, and just how comfortable YOU feel with 300 or 400 lbs behind you .
The worst part for me is stopping on a long down hill with 350 lbs pushing me through the stop sign ... ..

I would not want to use a GL1200 with a 500+ pounds trailer !!

SilverDave

furball751
2014 crf250l

Postby furball751 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:01 am

Thanks silverdave :D
I have a source for getting the bulbs cheap or I can make my own and put load resisters in, or an electronic blinker box just need to find a good clear wiring diagram.
I will look into the wiring harness you mentioned. But will definitly be soldiering all the iffy connections and heat shrinking them with the heat shrink with the melt able sealant in it. And checking out all the connections and attending to them As I know what bad connections do.
Where did you hook up the volt meter? I have one that will be going on when I start work on it.
I figured the trailer the I want to pull will come in at about 420lbs trailer & payload total, 15-20lbs on the tongue. less if I can find some weight saving somewhere.
Thanks again for your input :mrgreen:

SilverDave

Postby SilverDave » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:29 am

ohhhh... What's your secret source for 1156 and 1157 LED bulbs ? All 1200 owners want to know !!

--------------------------------------------
I hooked up my (tiny) digital voltmeter directly to the battery .

It came with small ( 18ga ?? ) leads, so I just led two small wires directly to the battery ..
But I wanted it OFF if the bike was off, so I used a relay that was already there to cut one lead unless the key was turned.
Its about 2/10 of a volt off, but thats ok .

A better question was where to mount it, so that it looked like it belonged near a GL1200 -A dash .... yet still be visible .
I chose just under the right speaker.. I can see it , but its not too distracting ...

"Sorry , officer.. I know I just drove thru that stop sign .. This is a 1200 Goldwing with a comprimised charging stator ... I was just checking my battery Voltage !!! "

LOL
------------------------------

I bet you find, to start with that 420 lbs will be a handful to stop on a long downhill... go for a long drive with it empty , first .

-------------------------------------

Unless the PO did nothing to it , over 30 years, and it has NO accessories ... there is no such thing as a " clear wiring Diagram ".... Never !!

I started with the nice coloured wiring Diagram at the back of my Clymer Manual , and slowly , over several years added to that with a nice sharp pencil, and careful labeling .
Sometimes wires on the bike were also labeled : I found 5 identical black wires under the seat ...
Some are labeled like this " This wire is yellow-green". LOL

The original Honda manual and the Hayes manual also have B & W wiring diagrams ... They are just harder to read in my shop, so I prefer the Clymers.

SilverDave

furball751
2014 crf250l

Postby furball751 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:35 pm

I get a good deal from where my brother works, but it is hard to beat the prices on the led bulbs on ebay 2 1157/1156 for about $10 or 10 for $26. That sure beats the hell out of super bright leds.com where 1 bulb is $26. You can find them in red white and amber. They are just as good as any bulbs from any where else. I have them on my truck and some other toys. They all come from china no matter where you get them from. Check it out

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261450535916?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151314394187?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I like the relay idea for the volt meter I may do that but connect it to a switched power wire and a N/O relay so there is no power draw when off.

My load that I know I will be pulling is 320lbs and then the minimal amount of other stuff I figure maybe about 50lbs is what I am shooting for. And I do plan on test rides with the trailer and load around the non busy roads at the cabin. Less idiots to deal with vs the cities.

The wiring should be pretty pure as the only add on is the 4pin plug for the trailer lighting. And I will have to check that out to see how it is wired in. Cuz ya never know what someone else might have done. Lol

SilverDave

Postby SilverDave » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:07 am

My voltmeter is connected to a switched power relay , so it also draws nothing when key is off.
A Voltmeter draws almost nothing even when its on ... but I want everything "off" when the key is in my pocket.
( except the theft alarm circuit)

------------------------------------
Thanks for the URL for the LED's ... They look good, if they are as long lasting and as bright as the $26 each ones from Super Bright Led's

--------------------------------
I keep one of these in my trailer :
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/50KG-POCKET-SPRI ... 5d53dd5e36

The control issues with a 800lb bike and a trailer are mostly :
-- balancing the load over the trailer axel,
and
-- keeping the tongue weight around 10% or about 30 lbs .
Longer trailer tongues sometimes also help.

--------------------------------------
The jury is still out on electric trailer brakes ( very un-reliable on a bike ) and on swivel hitches .
http://www.greenlitetrailers.com/upload ... lHitch.jpg

Both of these devices have had bizarre accidents reported ( like dragging the bike down or flipping the trailer in a cross wind ) )

but a very long long discussion on it here :
http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showthre ... ch-Coupler

with some great videos about 3/4 of the way down . Hmmm sparks off a Wing floorboards : Cool !!!

--------------------------
As my Victory riding companion of many miles said to me , once: " A regular trailer hitch will swivel about 40 to 50 degrees ... If a Goldwing is banked at more than 45 degrees ... you have so many more serious problems coming up than worrying about a flipping trailer )

I have neither swivel hitch nor trailer brakes --- and have put 50,000 cautious miles on mine with no incidents so far ( knock on wood ) .

Curbs ( extra width of the trailer) and speed bumps ( trailer jumps up and pulls the bike ) are still exciting after all these miles , though.

SilverDave

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Postby skier » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:40 pm

Regarding the trailer wiring, my '87 had a 3-wire to 4-wire converter wired in. I have since removed the trailer wiring on mine, but it shouldn't be hard to wire in.

furball751
2014 crf250l

Postby furball751 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:33 pm

These are the 1156 bulbs i got

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221612140620?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The 1157 bulbs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321652782933?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

For my wing it needs,
4 red 1157 for the rear lights
2 amber 1157 front turn signal
2 amber 1156 rear turn signal

This is the flasher I orderd from china so I dont have it yet but it should work good

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321413144383?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Cant beat the price's
If you cant tell I'm just a little cheep. lol

SilverDave

Postby SilverDave » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:29 pm

Long long post here :

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d-or-white-LED

talks about safety, visibility, long term use , reflectors ,
EPLLA (effective projected lens luminous area ), glare, legality, what some cops might say, why most Ebay LEDs are junk , insurance if you are in an accident , etc, etc ...

Mostly its thoughtful discussion on why you should not, never, no-way ever replace safety lights ( brake, stop, turn ) with LEDs

-a sample quote :
"LED bulbs" -- any of them, all of them -- just plain and simply do not work safely or adequately"

Worth the 15 min it takes to read ! I learned a lot .

SilverDave

furball751
2014 crf250l

Postby furball751 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:48 am

Well to be frank that all sounds like a bunch of propaganda BS! LED's are used in all most all new cars and trucks for all of the break, turn, and running lights Even some headlights now. Yes you do have to watch out for low lumens but that would be in led's that are the standard plastic type. The chip style as in the light's that I posted the pics of above have more light out put than the standard led and incandescent bulbs. LED's last 50, 000+ hours vs incandescent at maybe 10,000 hours if your lucky. LED's loose maybe 5 percent of there lumen output over the life of what ever you put them in and will most likely out last what ever you put them in. Ther response time is faster than incandescent and lower current draw. All led's come from china price depends on how many middle men they go through before you buy them. Ebay led's come either directly from the china manufacturer or a wholesaler here in the states that bought them bulk from china. I have bought more led's from ebay than I can count, my entire basement at home is completely lit with 12volt led's, run off a battery and solar panels. The gray box in the photos of the bulbs is my charge controller, that I built. The entire trailer house and garage at my cabin are both lit with 12v led light strip and some other led's and powered by 12v power supplys. All the led's came from ebay from china, only had 1 led strip with a problem and it was replaced by the manufacturer for free with no problem. They have been in service as my only over head lighting for 4 years and they are as bright as the day I put them up with no failures. I don't mean to rant but I have done countless hours of work and research on led's so things like that article get to me. LED's are longer lasting much more energy efficient. If all lights were led the energy savings, landfill, and hazardous waste savings would be massive. Agen sorry for the rant.

SilverDave

Postby SilverDave » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:43 pm

The "rant' is perfectly alright ... but I don't think anyone is saying the LEDs are not great lights . Their lifetime is awesome, current draw is minimal .
I have a 12 v Xmas LED string, most of my friends with modern cars. trucks, trailers have them all over the place . In properly engineered modern fixtures, they are awesome .

Have you seen the back end of a new corvette ? Wow !

I have seen them in RV's , as inside lights for kitchen mood lighting, on trucks and Semi's and even on a friends small plane as interior lights. They are great !! I have added LED light bars and a Ring-of-fire to my wing using LEDs.

The issue, as I understand it is whether they are legal, insurable-in-an-accident, cop-proof if you put them in a 30 year old machine ( Like a GL1200) where the reflectors and lenses are clearly designed for 30 year old 1157's ..

In other words , the legal, insurance and safety aspects of replacing stop-turn-brake bulbs in older fixtures with LEDs .. (just in the so-called safety lights).

SilverDave

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Postby flash1942 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:04 am

I will have to add my 2 cents worth here. SuperBrightsled.com are the best LEDs out there contrary to other opinions. They are the best engineered and made bulbs out there. I got some off of Ebay and was junk. Two of the 1157's blew their driver circuits (i think) as they smelled of burnt wires. With exceptions you usually get what you pay for. *I don't like paying their prices on some of the bulbs either but they are reliable.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:18 pm

flash1942 wrote:I will have to add my 2 cents worth here. SuperBrightsled.com are the best LEDs out there contrary to other opinions. They are the best engineered and made bulbs out there. I got some off of Ebay and was junk. Two of the 1157's blew their driver circuits (i think) as they smelled of burnt wires. With exceptions you usually get what you pay for. *I don't like paying their prices on some of the bulbs either but they are reliable.

I have to agree. You will find cheaper LEDs on eBay and other vendors, but everything you find on superbrightleds.com will be very high quality - and slightly more expensive as a result. More than that, they guarantee their product. I reported a problem with a LED I bought from them, not only did they ship me out a replacement, no questions asked, they sent a postage paid mailer for me to return the failed one, because they wanted to investigate the problem.

furball751
2014 crf250l

Postby furball751 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:04 pm

The fact still remains that the leds that super bright sells still come from the same manufacturs in china as the leds on ebay. If you look at what they offer and look at what is on ebay they are the same in most cases. just alot cheeper. you may get a bad bulb on ebay or superbright led and both replace or give you your money back. I prefer to save some money and deal with a failed bulb once in a while all thoe it is rare.
as to the post with the bad bulbs from ebay, led bulbs of that type dont have drivers in them they have leds and resisters in them to get the voltage to the led down to the right voltage. if the ones you got did what you say they did than they may have been 6volt insted of 12volt and that would explane the burnt semiconductor smell from them.

But to each are own!! ;)

flash1942
Motorcycle: '84 Aspencade

Postby flash1942 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:06 am

From what I have observed the SuperBrightsled.com are head and shoulders above in construction quality. Pretty obvious too. Remember the Iphone is made in China. The leds that I had trouble with were from Ebay and I got my money back. Voltage was not marked on them.
I did resort to Ebay again for more 1157's because SuperBrights were going to cost me around $80, so we shall see what happens there.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:35 pm

furball751 wrote:The fact still remains that the leds that super bright sells still come from the same manufacturs in china as the leds on ebay. If you look at what they offer and look at what is on ebay they are the same in most cases. just alot cheeper. you may get a bad bulb on ebay or superbright led and both replace or give you your money back. I prefer to save some money and deal with a failed bulb once in a while all thoe it is rare.
as to the post with the bad bulbs from ebay, led bulbs of that type dont have drivers in them they have leds and resisters in them to get the voltage to the led down to the right voltage. if the ones you got did what you say they did than they may have been 6volt insted of 12volt and that would explane the burnt semiconductor smell from them.

But to each are own!! ;)

I disagree - they may come from China, but they are definitely not the same quality or manufacturers. I've been buying LEDs for many years, and I'll gladly pay a few dollars extra to buy the superbrightleds product than go through the hassle of having to replace a cheaper version a short while later.

Return to “Camping and Trailers”