1986 Honda Goldwing Turning and Hazard Circuitry

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
dwinmac
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

1986 Honda Goldwing Turning and Hazard Circuitry

Postby dwinmac » Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:49 pm

If this gets on the forum twice I apologize. This is my first post. I closed out my browser erroneously after typing in my question. At any rate here it is again.

My brother has a 1986 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1200. He has torn the front end apart to fix a vibration but the hazard and turn signals don't work either. The electrical stuff is where I come in.I've got the wiring diagrams in the Service manual and I downloaded a wiring diagram from the internet. I'm trying to put together a schematic of just the turn signal and the hazard circuitry (See attachment).

First of all is there such a schematic already created that I could download? If not it would be helpful if I knew how the various parts operate. The turn signal control unit for example. Is it the cylindrical part with 6 wires going into it in bottom of the steering post? The wiring diagram shows a potentiometer type control built into the control unit. Where is that? Is there something that shows the internal circuitry relative to each pin (wire)? Another question relative to the turn signal relay. Is the turn signal switch input (i.e. gray wire) connected to the NO or NC side of the relay output?

At any rate I'm a real neophyte relative to motorcycle electrical circuitry. Any help you can give me is very much appreciated. Oh yes I don't get the significance of the position light vs the turn signal light. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain that. Thanks so much.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1986 Honda Goldwing Turning and Hazard Circuitry

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:27 pm

dwinmac wrote:If this gets on the forum twice I apologize. This is my first post. I closed out my browser erroneously after typing in my question. At any rate here it is again.

My brother has a 1986 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1200. He has torn the front end apart to fix a vibration but the hazard and turn signals don't work either. The electrical stuff is where I come in.I've got the wiring diagrams in the Service manual and I downloaded a wiring diagram from the internet. I'm trying to put together a schematic of just the turn signal and the hazard circuitry (See attachment).

First of all is there such a schematic already created that I could download? If not it would be helpful if I knew how the various parts operate. The turn signal control unit for example. Is it the cylindrical part with 6 wires going into it in bottom of the steering post? The wiring diagram shows a potentiometer type control built into the control unit. Where is that? Is there something that shows the internal circuitry relative to each pin (wire)? Another question relative to the turn signal relay. Is the turn signal switch input (i.e. gray wire) connected to the NO or NC side of the relay output?
HondaGoldwing_Turning_Schematic.jpg

At any rate I'm a real neophyte relative to motorcycle electrical circuitry. Any help you can give me is very much appreciated. Oh yes I don't get the significance of the position light vs the turn signal light. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain that. Thanks so much.

The cylindrical device inside the steering stem is the automatic turn signal canceler. It has a potentiometer on the bottom, connected to the bottom of the steering head that it utilizes to determine the direction the front wheel is pointed. There are no internal circuit diagrams - and in fact, it's still really a mystery as to how it functions. :) There is a relation between the direction of travel as well as the speed of travel, but I've never been able to derive any sort of rule or algorithm - for the most part it seems to work OK, but sometimes just triggers randomly.

The turn signal relay has three wires: grey, white/green, and green. +12 volts comes in on the white/green, green is ground. Grey goes to the switch, and from there to the lights, and from there to ground. When the lights are engaged, power flows through the flasher and it then energizes and flashes.

dwinmac
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby dwinmac » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:37 pm

How about the purpose of the "position" lights. According to the wiring diagram the bulbs have two filament, one for the turn signal and one for the "position"light. What is the "position" light for?

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:34 pm

So if thats how it apparently works , if one chose to replace the turn signal lights , front , or rear , or both ,
with LEDs........ would the turn signal cancel circuit also not work ?

( Clearly the flasher would not work , if they were all replaced with LEDs )
..... but if say , just the rear turn bulbs were replaced with LEDs, would the turn signal cancel circuit still function , and self cancel ??

SilverDave

Similar question: Its a GL1200 A
<<<If all the brake/tail lights were replaced with LEDs ... would the brake-light-is-burned-out bulb on the dash remain glowing red ??>>>

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”