Cracked fairing and deleting radio questions.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: '86 Aspy

Cracked fairing and deleting radio questions.

Postby eskachig » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:47 pm

Hello, I recently joined the 'Wing brotherhood, and could use some advice about where to go with this well-running but quirky '86 Aspy that I sort of inherited. It runs great, but there are definitely some issues that I'd like to tackle. Basically, the PO created a janky stereo setup that I'd like to remove, and the CB radio stuff (the wiring for which he snipped) is hanging on by a single screw. The fairing is cracked in that region as well.

I have made some maintenance plans that are important for making the bike nicer and safer, but this setup is so rattly and irritating that I kind of want to take care of it first. But I'm kind of hesitant about what should be done. I'm an okish hobbyist mechanic (hoping to get better - signed up for maintenance classes starting next week), but I'm not very flexible when directions and manuals end. I'm not sure whether I should be looking for a transplant fairing, or if I should glue this one up. I don't really need either the stereo or the non-functional CB stuff so I'd like to just take them out. Any advice for fabricating coverplates for the holes and dealing with the wrecked mounts? Is it going to upset the bike's balance?

Any advice would be welcome, as I'm kind of stumped.

The bike rides reasonably well (could probably use a suspension rebuild, forks are sagging a bit - but everything works and the compressor is functional), but I cringe at every bump with this madness.

Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: Cracked fairing and deleting radio questions.

Postby alanc1100 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:48 pm

Eskachig, are the fairing cracks confined to the CB pocket? If so, get some ABS Plastic cement and fill the cracks with it. Remember, that cement is ABS in liquid form and will not only "glue" the cracks, it will create a new bond. I would make or use some type of clamping system so it bonds correctly. If the cracks are through the paint on the outside, you will have to paint touch up that area, so buying another fairing shell off fleabay might be a better option, especially if you can find a blue one.
I hope this helps you.

On another note, if you are discarding the CB and radio, I'll take them off your hands. Just PM me.

Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 nake
1981 GL1100 full dresser
Both getting restored

Postby auctioneeral » Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:29 am

Use the ABS cement and if you need any sheets of ABS they sell it in different sizes on ebay. that is what i did to fix my fairing. couple of pictures of what i had. I also used dry wall tape.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:43 pm

The ABS cement (plumber's cement) is the correct stuff to use, but it has a high concentration of resin in it, and will harden much harder and more brittle than normal ABS. Take small bits of ABS (shavings works well - I just take a big drill and drill holes in a large piece of ABS, then take those drill shavings and use those) and add the cement to the shavings. This will chemically melt the shavings and you get a "slurry" of ABS. As the solvent (which is MEK) evaporates, the slurry will get hard, so if it starts getting too stiff before you're done working it, just add more cement to soften it up.

Once you're done and it cures, the result will not be a piece of ABS with a glue repair, it will be actual ABS - one solid piece.

Motorcycle: '86 Aspy

Postby eskachig » Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:28 pm

Thanks guys! I decided to just transplant another fairing for the time being, and then experiment with fixing up the old one with ABS cement. I'm hoping I can use it to repair the saddle bags as well.

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Mine was cracked far worse, but not as brittle. Someone before me had attached Wind Wings to the CB fastening bolts, so much more internal damage.
( The wind forces on a WindWing at speed are quite high )...

I used a combo of ABS/ cement , and paint to re-do the outside.
and deep "T-nuts" , and many coats of 2-component epoxy and fiber glass cloth to make the new bolt holes MUCH stronger.
( 2-component epoxy sticks well to the metal and the plastic )

Be sure to insert a long, greased bolt in the t-nut threads as you start work to keep them from filling the threads with glue.

As I was putting on several coats, I used fast drying epoxy , so I did not have to do the repairs over several weeks.
Greasing up and taping the back of the CB, and partially installing the screws and the CB when the first glue is still sorta soft will help allign the four NEW bolt holes as you build up the solid around the T-nut.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”