New Member- 84 Aspencade on a long trip

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
ski1215
Motorcycle: Aspencade

New Member- 84 Aspencade on a long trip

Postby ski1215 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 1:48 pm

Hello folks. I was recently given an 84 Aspencade. A family member moved south and had another Goldwing waiting for him down there, so he left me this one along with tons of other stuff. To say I'm grateful is a huge understatement. So far the bike has been great, but it does have a few issues.

- Huge head shake at 35-37mph. 100% goes away above or below those speeds. Proper tire pressure helps but does not cure the problem.
- Has the dreaded stator wire problem. I'm not certain how bad the problem is but I can see and feel the brittle wires.
- Starter hangs maybe 1 out of 10 starts. Moving the bike a little bit or toggling the shifter usually fixes this.
- Needs 100% choke for several minutes before riding.

With that said, I'm looking for some opinions. I'm planning a 3-4k mile trips this May. Riding from CT to Florida. All highway down and coming home via deals gap and Nashville. Before I leave I'm doing some routine stuff like new tires, brake pads, fluid, oil change etc. I was wondering what your guys opinion would be on doing this trip with the issues on the bike? Right now I'm unsure how bad the stator wires are. I have no experience with these specific bikes or really older bikes in general. Some people have said a modern sealed battery will remove some heat from that side cover and extend the life of the stator connection.

Here's the bike as she sits:

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: New Member- 84 Aspencade on a long trip

Postby WingAdmin » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:06 pm

When you say the starter hangs - do you mean it spins without rotating the engine?

ski1215

Postby ski1215 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 4:47 pm

Yes that's exactly it. You can hear it spinning and not engaging. Moving the bike a little bit usually makes everything line up.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Sun Mar 01, 2015 5:09 pm

no reason why the bike cant do the trip for you, but would suggest sort the issues before you go.

1. head shake can be caused by quite few things like worn steering head bearings , trailing arm bearings, but the main culprit is worn tires, either front or rear tire.

2. cut the connector out, and solder the three white stator wires to the left of the battery, this is a known failure point for the stator, but check the charging ability, of the stator first. Really you dont want to attempt a trip unless you know the stator is working as it should, it will leave you stranded if it fails.

3. the starting problem can be caused a by a dirty spragg clutch, that gets lazy when it has lots of crud on it. run seafoam or an engine cleaner through, change to new oil after it.

ski1215

Postby ski1215 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:14 pm

oldishwinger wrote:no reason why the bike cant do the trip for you, but would suggest sort the issues before you go.

1. head shake can be caused by quite few things like worn steering head bearings , trailing arm bearings, but the main culprit is worn tires, either front or rear tire.

2. cut the connector out, and solder the three white stator wires to the left of the battery, this is a known failure point for the stator, but check the charging ability, of the stator first. Really you dont want to attempt a trip unless you know the stator is working as it should, it will leave you stranded if it fails.

3. the starting problem can be caused a by a dirty spragg clutch, that gets lazy when it has lots of crud on it. run seafoam or an engine cleaner through, change to new oil after it.

Agreed on the head shake, hopefully new tires will tell me if something else is going on. Defintely planning on putting new ones on before I leave.

I'm somewhat comfortable soldering, I'd probably need to find a riding buddy to help me out but this is certainly do-able. What should I be reading for voltages? Should I be checking at the stator wiring for voltage or can I check elsewhere?

Seafoam was also on my plan so hopefully that cures the starting issue. I'm waiting for warmer weather to dump a bunch in run it through fuel and oil and then do a full oil change.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:02 pm

yes the stator wires at the connection, need to be separated to test the stator. do a search, there are quite few instructions of how to check the stator, but a manual would be the best way to follow.

a very quick test before separating the wires would be put a multimeter across the battery, and start the motor. if the battery is in good condition, at 3000rpm you should get about 14.5 volts. although the manual does say up to 15 volts is fine any reading below that would pay to test the stator.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:12 pm

hey ski,

that's a really nice looking aspy you have there, your very lucky to have gotten it. one thing I have to mention though, upon looking at the photos of your bike close up, to me,(not sure if its an optical illusion or not), your trunk bumper/light bar looks to be sitting a bit lower on the left side than it does on the right side. like I said, it might be an optical illusion, or a couple of the bolts holding onto the trunk could be loose, but worth checking, I could be wrong, but still..........

stuart.

ski1215

Postby ski1215 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:40 pm

roadwanderer2 wrote:hey ski,

that's a really nice looking aspy you have there, your very lucky to have gotten it. one thing I have to mention though, upon looking at the photos of your bike close up, to me,(not sure if its an optical illusion or not), your trunk bumper/light bar looks to be sitting a bit lower on the left side than it does on the right side. like I said, it might be an optical illusion, or a couple of the bolts holding onto the trunk could be loose, but worth checking, I could be wrong, but still..........

stuart.

It was crooked. I removed it several days after getting the bike.

roadwanderer2
Motorcycle: 83 GL1100A aspencade, previously owned, 1981 honda GL500i silverwing interstate, 1974 yamaha xs400, 1974 Honda cb450 twin cam, 1983 honda vt30, 1982 honda 700 shadow, 1972 cb750four, and my first bike, a brand new 1982 honda CM400e. and a new to me 1986 GL1200 aspencade SEi

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:43 pm

ski1215 wrote:
roadwanderer2 wrote:hey ski,

stuart.

It was crooked. I removed it several days after getting the bike.

you removed it? uhhhhhh, are you going to reuse it? :mrgreen:. if not, would you be interested in selling it?

stuart.

ski1215

Postby ski1215 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:21 pm

Sorry it went in the hopper. The mounts were badly corroded and it was bent.

roadwanderer2

Postby roadwanderer2 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 9:30 pm

:o
ski1215 wrote:Sorry it went in the hopper. The mounts were badly corroded and it was bent.

WHAT? :o, you mean you trashed it :o?, even though the mounts were rusted and bent, it could have been straightened out and reused :cry:. personally I would have fixed it. oh well, guess i'll have to keep looking for one for the back of my trunk.

stuart.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”