More on three yellow wires

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
1stwing
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200A Aspencade

More on three yellow wires

Postby 1stwing » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:57 pm

Well - Thanks to Oldishwinger and Silver Dave, I gathered up my nerve and went to the white connector in front of the battery. The connector would NOT come apart. Closer inspection revealed a blackening on the inside of the connector, indicating obvious heat build up. Also, putting my face to it, an obvious burnt smell was detected. I think I may have averted a major disaster here. I just rode the bike this morning and things seemed to go fine.
Since the connector would not come apart, I cut the wires from each side of the connector, then removed the connector from the bracket. (don't ask)
My dilemma, now, is that I do not know which yellow wire on one side is to be soldered to which wire on the other side. Also, I will have to add some extension wire to make them meet properly and need to know what gauge stranded copper wire to use.
Thanks, again, in advance for any help you can provide.
Vince.

1stwing

Re: More on three yellow wires

Postby 1stwing » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:06 pm

Just went back and reviewed Oldishwinger's post and he said it does not matter which leg goes to which leg as long as I end up with three separate, non-contacting legs. Apparently I was inattentive to that part (or forgot - aging sucks) Now the only remaining question is what gauge wire to use for the extensions.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Vince.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:45 pm

The three wires from the stator to the rectifier / regulator are alternating current. When the electricity comes out of the R/R it is then Direct Current... so, it doesn't matter which of the three ends you solder together. I thought the information on the Lineman's Splice was great... I never heard that kind of a joint called that, but I'm sure it has great strength.

I use #10 wire to do the splices with. I added enough so that the overall length of the wires was a bit loose, as I don't like tightly stretched wires on much of anything.

I have only done a couple of them, myself, but the connectors were pretty badly degraded on them as you described yours. It is far better to splice the wires together than to burn out a stator and have to pull the engine to replace the stator.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

1stwing

Postby 1stwing » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Many thanks! I ran the bike on a trip this morning, so I'm confident I haven't hurt anything yet. Better safe than having to do the dreaded engine pull and stator replacement. I'm with you on making the legs a little longer. I've done a lot of electronic work and electrical work in a number of areas in my life and strain on a wire is never a good thing. I think I may even have some 10 gauge wire in the shop.
Thanks, again and have a great day.
Vince.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:34 pm

1stwing wrote:Well - Thanks to Oldishwinger and Silver Dave, I gathered up my nerve and went to the white connector in front of the battery. The connector would NOT come apart. Closer inspection revealed a blackening on the inside of the connector, indicating obvious heat build up. Also, putting my face to it, an obvious burnt smell was detected. I think I may have averted a major disaster here. I just rode the bike this morning and things seemed to go fine.
Since the connector would not come apart, I cut the wires from each side of the connector, then removed the connector from the bracket. (don't ask)
My dilemma, now, is that I do not know which yellow wire on one side is to be soldered to which wire on the other side. Also, I will have to add some extension wire to make them meet properly and need to know what gauge stranded copper wire to use.
Thanks, again, in advance for any help you can provide.
Vince.

Any wire can connect to any wire - as long as each yellow wire is connected to a yellow wire on the other side.

When I did mine I had to extend it as well, and I used 12 gauge wire, although you could probably get away with 14.

Make sure when you strip the wires back that you strip them back to the point where you get shiny, clean copper. If they overheated, which it sounds like they did, the wires may be black and oxidized, which will neither conduct nor accept solder. So you'll need to strip the insulation back to before the oxidation starts.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”