dead motorcycle

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
bojames
Motorcycle: 1986 honda goldwing 1200 trike ...interstate

dead motorcycle

Postby bojames » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:20 pm

1986 HG interstate 1200 trike ...have had trouble motorcycle will run for about five miles and then just totally die ...after a time it will start back up and go for another distance before dying again .....i replaced the solenoid and i have just replaced the voltage regulator ...the new voltage regulator gets warm also like old one did .....does anyone have further suggestions on what might be wrong now ...also the fan comes on very quickly even in cold weather i plan on replaced the fan switch but have not done this yet ....HELP ....

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: dead motorcycle

Postby littlebeaver » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:27 am

Fan switch is stuck to the on position, a new one is the fix, solenoid has to do with starting the bike and nothing with the dying part, voltage regulator has to do with your charging as it regulates current, when it's running is it charging? I imagine it's just the engine that is cutting out, right? Could be the fuel pump....Now if you are losing the lights when it dies , I'd check the main fuse for cracks in it...Have you checked or soldered the 3 yellow wires yet? Other's will be along, with more suggestions...

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:51 am

Loss of spark is possible.carry a spare plug..when it dies,attach it to a plug wire and crank it.no spark can be thermal intermittent pulse coils.ive heard that modified gl1500 pulse coils will fit.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:37 pm

Did you swap the dog bone fuse with an automotive fuse of the same rating with a holder in place of the original fuse?
The dog bone fuse may have a small defect that allows it to open when hot and when you shut the bike off it cools and everything is normal until it gets hot.
Pulse generators do go bad.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Tue Mar 24, 2015 5:06 pm

the symptoms you describe, sounds like faulty pulse generators.

f1xrupr
Motorcycle: 1980 gl 1100 Std. Vetter

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:43 pm

When a regulator/rectifier is working correctly, it gets vary vary warm-that's ok. I'm not vary clear on your symptoms-no lights, lights but starter not turning, starter turning but engine not starting...??? So, just guessing...fuel starvation. Maybe fuel tank breather (cap?) Clogged and forming a vacuum, or maybe clogged fuel filter, or maybe crImped fuel line...? I trust it has adequate coolant in the cooling system.....what does temp gauge read when fan comes on?
My exercise bike is a goldwing.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:21 pm

He never came back... :shock:

bojames

Postby bojames » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:03 pm

littlebeaver wrote:Fan switch is stuck to the on position, a new one is the fix, solenoid has to do with starting the bike and nothing with the dying part, voltage regulator has to do with your charging as it regulates current, when it's running is it charging? I imagine it's just the engine that is cutting out, right? Could be the fuel pump....Now if you are losing the lights when it dies , I'd check the main fuse for cracks in it...Have you checked or soldered the 3 yellow wires yet? Other's will be along, with more suggestions...

hello little beaver....fan switch will shut off if u leave over night .....no lights stay on and i can crank it over immediately after it stops but it just back fires ...i have to wait for a certain length of time and then it fires right up and takes off for a certain distance again ....WHAT are the three yellow wires u are talking about ???? where are they ????

bojames

Postby bojames » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:06 pm

trike lady wrote:Did you swap the dog bone fuse with an automotive fuse of the same rating with a holder in place of the original fuse?
The dog bone fuse may have a small defect that allows it to open when hot and when you shut the bike off it cools and everything is normal until it gets hot.

sorry ...i am a motorcycle novice ...what is a dog bone )))) ......where is it ???? ...yes it dies after a certain distance and then lights and all work but will not start ..if i wait it will start and go for another prescribed distance before dying ....thanks for answering me ..appreciate the help

bojames

Postby bojames » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:09 pm

f1xrupr wrote:When a regulator/rectifier is working correctly, it gets vary vary warm-that's ok. I'm not vary clear on your symptoms-no lights, lights but starter not turning, starter turning but engine not starting...??? So, just guessing...fuel starvation. Maybe fuel tank breather (cap?) Clogged and forming a vacuum, or maybe clogged fuel filter, or maybe crImped fuel line...? I trust it has adequate coolant in the cooling system.....what does temp gauge read when fan comes on?

hello and thank u for replying ...motorcycle just dies ...lights still work ...i can crank it over immediately but will not start until i wait for a certain length of time ....it back fires if i try to start it to quickly so i am guessing it is not gas or it would not back fire ....coolant is above full ...temp gauge never gets very hot at all and fan will come on ...even in winter ...

bojames

Postby bojames » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:10 pm

littlebeaver wrote:He never came back... :shock:

i am here )))))))))) just do not know ur site well ...))))))

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:11 pm

bojames wrote:
trike lady wrote:Did you swap the dog bone fuse with an automotive fuse of the same rating with a holder in place of the original fuse?

sorry ...i am a motorcycle novice ...what is a dog bone )))) ......where is it ???? ...yes it dies after a certain distance and then lights and all work but will not start ..if i wait it will start and go for another prescribed distance before dying ....thanks for answering me ..appreciate the help

The "dogbone" fuse (called thus because it's shaped like a dog bone) is the bike's master fuse, and it's a common failure point. See this: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1350&p=4396#p4396

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:18 pm

It's not the main fuse(dogbone) if the lights stay on.... everything goes out.. Sounds like it's fuel, maybe fuel filter.. Or gas cap not venting well... The 3 yellow wires needs to be checked anyways,, it comes right out of the stator on the back of the engine, the plug is near or above the battery area.. Goes to the Regulator rectifier...that plug is a problem many times,, fella's including myself remove the plug if burnt and solder the 3 yellow wires together, does NOT matter which ones go where as long as they are all soldered proper.. Check that to be safe...
Last edited by littlebeaver on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:27 pm

Is that fuel injected?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:42 pm

littlebeaver wrote:It's not the main fuse(dogbone) if the lights stay on.... everything goes out.. Sounds like it's fuel, maybe fuel filter.. Or gas cap not venting well... The 3 yellow wires needs to be check anyways,, it comes right out of the stator on the back of the engine, the plug is near or above the battery area.. Goes to the Regulator rectifier...that plug is a problem many times,, fella's including myself remove the plug if burnt and solder the 3 yellow wires together, does NOT matter which ones go where as long as they are all soldered proper.. Check that to be safe...

Either fuel or pulse generators. The pulse generators tend to fail first when they get warm.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:12 pm

Admin... I know nothing of the 1200's PG, can they be tested? Heck I totally rebuilt the 1100 one but these are different creatures... do you test them by ohms like the 1100 one? Oh wait,,I found it in the search area...viewtopic.php?t=1397

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:18 am

I'm always suspicious of the fuel system when an engine will start and run when it has been sitting a while, and then the engine shuts down after 5 minutes or so, and won't restart until it sits a while. I can ride about 3-4 minutes with the fuel shut off while running down the road. I know, because I've forgotten to turn the fuel petcock on enough times in my life.

There are many things you can do to find the trouble. First thing I'd do is either eliminate the fuel system as the problem or fix what's wrong with the bike if fuel is the culprit. Take the outlet side hose off the fuel pump and replace it with a hose long enough to reach a coffee can or other gasoline safe container. Then put the kill switch in the "OFF" position and crank the engine. The electric fuel pump should put out 16-18 ounces of fuel per minute with the engine cranking over. If the pump is delivering fuel, but at a reduced rate, you may have a partially blocked fuel filter.

You can also rig up a temporary fuel tank, like you might use for synchronizing carbs and attach it to the carburetor fuel inlet ahead of the tee, so it gravity flows fuel to the carb rack.

By eliminating fuel as your problem, you can have a clear direction to head in the rest of your troubleshooting. Replacing parts willy-nilly is frustrating and expensive.

My normal fuel system process is pull the fuel lines off, buy some fresh fuel hose and start at the petcock and work my way toward the carburetors. Check at each possible failure point (do I have fuel at the petcock? Check. Does fuel flow freely from the fuel filter? Check. Does the fuel pump turn on and pump fuel? Check.)

After having (recently) been left stranded by a broken wire in the power supply from the fuel relay to my fuel pump, and having previously changed the fuel pump (twice) thinking the pump was bad and the "cheap" replacement pump I bought had also failed... I found myself stuck with few tools and fewer patience for being stranded. I ended up bypassing the fuel pump and gravity feeding my carbs so I could get home. After some troubleshooting (at home) I discovered I was only getting current to the fuel pump intermittently. Sometimes the bike ran really well, and at other times, not so well. I chalked it up to some trash in the carbs that I'd eventually have to get out of there, but on the good days the bike ran so well, it wasn't quite making sense to me. It took me getting stuck away from home to sort things out.

Always start at the simple and move toward the complex when trying to figure these things out, is how I roll... simple: fuel filter, fuel pump, make sure the fuel pump is getting current as it should. You can always check the less simple things if the fuel system checks out. If the fuel system checks out, I would move to simple electrical connections, start solenoid, battery terminals, starter connection, grounds.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents worth
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

f1xrupr

Postby f1xrupr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:56 am

Hawk made some good points. I think it's safe to say, that Hawk wasn't suggesting that you engage your starter for a complete minute non-stop for the fuel volume test-about 10 seconds, then wait a minute-then about 10 more seconds, then wait a minute, until you've cranked 60 seconds...keeps starter from over heating.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:50 am

Words do have meaning LOL.. No, I would not suggest you crank the starter for 60 seconds non-stop. You can crank for 5-10 seconds and determine if gas is coming out of the fuel pump. Measure what you have and if you crank for ten seconds, multiply the amount you have times 6 and that will give you volume per minute... again it is a ball-park to see if the pump puts out.

Thank you for pointing out my error of omission.

f1xrupr wrote:Hawk made some good points. I think it's safe to say, that Hawk wasn't suggesting that you engage your starter for a complete minute non-stop for the fuel volume test-about 10 seconds, then wait a minute-then about 10 more seconds, then wait a minute, until you've cranked 60 seconds...keeps starter from over heating.

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”