Valve Stem Caliper Clearance

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
djolesiak
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

Valve Stem Caliper Clearance

Postby djolesiak » Tue Mar 24, 2015 12:22 pm

I just replaced the front brake pads on my 86 SEI. When I went to ride my bike the next day I heard a clicking sound coming from the front end. Then I noticed the steering had gotten very stiff due to a flat front tire. I limped it back to my garage as I had only gotten a mile down the road. Upon further inspection I noticed the valve stem was hitting the brake caliper due to the new pads pushing the caliper closer to the wheel. The end of the valve stem got mangled and caused the stem to leak. My valve stems are bent at a 90° angle. They weren't hitting before because my pads were thin from wear.

I'm not sure if the replacement pads are too thick or the stems are too long? My old pads were EBC and so were the new pads. I understand that all the GL1200's use the same pads front and rear so I don't think it's a pad issue. I'm not sure if the stems are stock or not but I have the same style of stems front and rear. I understand my SEI uses a thicker rotor so perhaps that has something to do with it?

Anyway, to get the bike back on the road, I rotated the valve stem inward. Then I used a valve stem tool to cut new threads in the valve stem. I then inflated the tire and sealed it with a chrome valve cap and bubble tested it for leaks and it's holding fine so far. My front tire is worn out anyways and I'm about to replace it so I'll replace the valve stem at the same time. Should I put another angled stem or a straight one?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Valve Stem Caliper Clearance

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:29 pm

You have to be careful with some of the angled stems, I've found too that some of them are a bit too long and hit brake hardware. I had the same thing happen on my GL1500 when I replaced my valve stems with chromed 90 degree angle stems last year.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Mar 24, 2015 3:05 pm

The GL1200 stock valve stems are straight I believe. Clearance problems may be the reason.
MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

djolesiak
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEi

Postby djolesiak » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:22 pm

I replaced the tire today which was down to the indicators anyway and put a straight valve stem on the wheel. Problem solved. I guess it must have been an issue with the angled stem. Brake pads are working fine.

The thing is I have an angle stem on the rear wheel and it has never hit. I'll probably replace that stem as well when I replace the rear tire next time. I guess the rear wheel must be a little bit wider than the front giving it more clearance.

MikeB
Motorcycle: 1998 - GL1500 Aspencade.
2003 - GL1800A

Postby MikeB » Tue Mar 24, 2015 11:05 pm

Yes, I believe the rear wheels are wider so you may not have a problem there. But it would still be a good idea to replace the stems if they have been on there for a while.

MikeB
Tacoma, WA, USA

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”