frustrated

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
detroit
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade

frustrated

Postby detroit » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:17 pm

I bought an 84 gl1200 last summer and had a GREAT summer riding. When I bought it it had only 30000 on it, since then about 6000 more, and she ran great. I had to find a radiator and put it in. No biggie. I had some free time. Im living on the west coast, Oregon, so I got to take her out on the town here and there. Hmmm. That sounds like my wife. Actually she gets a little pissy about the close friendship my bike and I have. Anyway, the few times I took her out, the bike, no problems. Well one day she was really LOW on fuel, but I took a chance and went for a quick ride.(I live a ways outside of twn and didnt feel like driving into twn for fuel) Well by the time I circled rnd to head home she started chugging. Thought I was outta gas. So I conserved enough fuel to get up a few hills and coast dwn a final one to coast into my garage. By the time I hit the garage she was spittin & chuggin. Once again , thght I was just outta fumes. It sat for about a wk or so B4 I went to get some non-ethanol fuel. Poured it in and started her up. Took her for a quick ride while the wife was gettin ready to go 4 a ride w/me and pulled up to my house she started chggin again. So nix tht ride. Ive been readin your forums for a while now and you guys hv helped me out w/some things on her, but Im stumped. Ive looked @ almost everything yous hv suggested, almost everything. The plugs are in good shape. Got spark. Compression good. Timing belts are fine. Maybe got somethin in the fuel line?....... Ill tk yer advice guys, and gals. Im new to motorcycles. Can tear a car up, but these are quite a bit trickier. Thx in advance. Hv a good safe ride people. P.S. I forgot to mention the backfiring. A few of them I was almost ready to hand my wallet over and reach for the sky. Not the air/fuel backfire. The loud crisp crack, like a gunshot.

littlebeaver
Motorcycle: 1981 gl 1100 I , 79 Yamaha XS11
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Re: frustrated

Postby littlebeaver » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:57 pm

Pulse generator perhaps,,, Virgil is great at the 1200's a bad PG on a 1200's can make the bike backfire like that.. Oh and many others will chime in soon...That would be my first place I'd look..this is based on my reading a lot as I don't have a 1200... Maybe the 3 yellows wire too, to the stator...

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:10 pm

Hi frustrated, my first thought is you are letting the bike sit with an almost empty tank, with you living next to the ocean, the hot, almost empty tank will just suck in that nice salty Oregon air, which will just raise hell with your carb's. You have to leave the bike with at leat 3/4 of a tank and add some sea foam to it to help prevent the moist air from contamenating even the non-enthanol gas. The back fire could also be a sign of a very lean fuel mixture because of water in the fuel. Just my thought's. :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:43 pm

I think with the chug-chug and backfiring its almost certainly in the fuel system .
I'd start by removing the gas line near the tank shut-off, completely drain the tank ( water ? sludge ) and fill it up with fresh gas , add a 1/4 cup of MMO or Seafoam , and run a couple of tanks thru the entire system .

Also when exactly were the plugs replaced ?
I once had a similar backfiring problem like that , plugs "looked" ok, and " sparked" when out ...... but they were 2 years old ..
Plugs can "age" internally , I gather.... and have a weak spark under compression.

Anyway, fresh gas, and brand new , gapped plugs and it all went away .

Don't forget to blow out the plug wells BEFORE you remove them,
and be sure the plug well's drain hole is wide open, especially if you live near a lot of moisture .

Of course it could also be your Pulse coils, but the above is much easier in repair time, to tart with.

detroit

Postby detroit » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:02 am

where is the pulse generator located? I was pretty busy today so I didnt get a chance to look @ the forum. I was reading something about pulse generators , briefly, so as soon as I find out where its located I'll check it out. Also I guess I should probably ask how I will know if its bad? Im going to flush the tank & put a new filter in it today. Also, if its running too lean, how do I go about correcting that? I took it for a ride along the river this aftrnoon to a friends house, 7.3 miles driveway to driveway, & ran fine until about a qrtr. mile from his property. Then same thing. Good friend, he put it in his garage for the night. Hey I wanna thank you guys for your help and advice/suggestions to my "I wanna jump up and down and throw ****" I just wanna ride problem. Ive been visiting this sight for a while and yous have been helpful for a lot of guys and gals. Just like everyone else here I just wanna be on two wheels. Thx again.

littlebeaver
Special, 82 Kawa 750 CSR, 82 Kawa 750 LTD, 03 Kawa Nomad 1500, 99 Kawa Voyager 1200

Postby littlebeaver » Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:26 am

Not positive but I think the PG on the 1200's is under the timing belt covers in front of the bike....1200 guys will let you know soon.. /They know the correct answers They know that bike well...

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 1:23 pm

Yes they are in the timming belt compartment, 1 on top and 1 at the bottom of center pully. I would do everything else befor I would mess with them, drain out the tank, replace filter, check plugs, put in fresh gas with 1/2 can of sea foam and take it for a 50 mi. ride and see what happens, you don't have to go far, do a 5 mi. round trip 10 times that way you are never more then 2 1/2 mi. from home. If the engine starts to chug/spit/backfire open the gas cap because you might be getting a vacuum lock and can't get enough gas, if it starts to run smooth again you need to clean out the small hole in the cap, this is a normal problem with old bikes. Good luck. :mrgreen:

PS: by chance if you have to take off the timming belt covers to check the PG, then get 2 new timming belts and replace them at that time as it could save you needing a new engine. Go to How to Articles for direction.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:32 pm

1984 GL1200 engine pulse generators are in the rear of the engine, 85-87 are located under timing belt covers.

Before you start tearing things apart, and tearing your hair out, take a look at the fuel system (as has been suggested). Checking for fuel flow out of the tank costs nothing... shut off the pet-cock, pull the fuel hose off and turn the petcock back on (with a container under the tube). If you have nice, clean gas there, put the hose back on and to the same thing downstream of the fuel filter. If that's okay, pull the outlet side of the pump hose off and put a temporary hose on and crank the engine with the kill switch off. A GL1200 fuel pump should put out about 17 ounces per minute, if I recall correctly... there needs to be a noticeable amount of fuel coming out.

You describe what I would call classic symptoms of a motorcycle running out of fuel. You may have water in the fuel.. if that's the case, there may be water in the carburetor bowls too, which can make the bike run worse than almost anything else... backfiring, sputtering.. all that jazz.

Mine did almost the same thing. I replaced the fuel pump and after riding only a few weeks, it appeared the new fuel pump failed as well. I broke down in town, and had to fool with the bike for almost two hours trying to figure out what the problem was (with VERY few tools). I took a piece of new fuel hose (Thank God I had some with me) and bypassed the filter (yeah, I know) and pump to allow fuel to gravity feed the carbs to get me home. The next day, with a Volt-Ohm-Meter, I figured out that I had a broken wire (go figure) supplying intermittent current to my fuel pump. Since fixing that, I've had a better running engine than ever. It makes me wonder if that OEM pump failed at all. I haven't tested it yet, but I'm glad I didn't throw it out.

Be systematic in your approach. Eliminate the easy (and free) stuff before you pull the engine apart. It would be very frustrating to replace pulse generators only to find later that your fuel filter is plugged up.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

WINGER3

Postby WINGER3 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:16 pm

Sorry, Hawkeye is correct, the pulse generators on the 84 are in the back of the engine, harder to deal with then 85-87 years. But like we all said do the easy stuff first and the odds are the fuel system is your problem. :mrgreen:

detroit

Postby detroit » Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:12 pm

Ya know , I feel like an idiot. I was so worried tht my problem was going to be a season ender and passed over the obvious. I checked timing belts, compression, wishbone, ignition and was getting even more frustrated and pissed. Now the last, simpliest and most obvious problem was, anybody? You in the front row. Fuel filter. I bought the bike last summer from my bro in law, whos a pretty smart fella and I was told, and it did hv, new fuel filter and brand spankin new fuel pump. He even fab'd a nifty new bracket for it. When I checked the filter it was caked with what looked like rust sediment. A pin hole on 1 end for fuel to go in, and like an ant trap, they check in but they dont check out. The Ol' girl was uh starvin. Droplets of fuel if tht were making their way to the carbs. Anyway went for a nice relaxing ride earlier, and I'm gettin ready to leave again. Hfta make up for a weeks worth of nice weather I missed. Thx a lot gentlemen for the great suggestions and help in solving this mystery. Plus the wife was tired of hearin me bitch. Ride safe guys. So long for now.

littlebeaver

Postby littlebeaver » Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Well Santa Maria.... :lol: a flippin Fuel filter....Hey one killed my Toyota years ago....Dugh I couldn't remember that.... :shock: Sounded like once it warmed up and running it did this,,, threw us a curve ball man..good fake out... glad it was simple.. :lol:

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”