air filters

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

air filters

Postby oldishwinger » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi folks,

I was just reading a a tread where a gentleman asked about oil filters, and the subject go onto air filters, particularly K&N Most comments where against the K&N air filters, because of letting in more air and therefore more contaminants etc.

Please, I dont want to start a bush fire here, but I have been using a K&N air filter in my 86 aspy now for about 6 years, and there has never been, one issue with it. I also know 1500 riders who use them again without issues.

The thing is, a K & N filter, cannot just be dropped in, like a OEM filter, the K&N one, needs to oiled, and the oil used, needs to be one that is made for the filter. it comes in spray can, as does the filter cleaner.

This is only my very humble opinion, but I cant see, how, a properly oiled K&N air filter, would let in more contaminants, than a OEM dry one.

Also with the use of the filter, there has been a definite small, overall improvement in the way the bike performs.

My question is: has anybody, who has used K&N air filters had any issues, with the bike, that could be related to the use of a K&N air filter?

Just to be clear folks, I have no affiliations with these filters, other than the fact I use one.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: air filters

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:15 am

There have been study after study that have shown that K&N air filters, while they "flow" air much more freely, also allow far more contaminants through into the engine. I'm quite fine with spending a few dollars regularly on throw-away air filters, rather than spending huge money tearing my engine down to replace worn piston rings.

http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/ ... study.html

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”