85 Limited trip meter/ride level

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 85 GL1200 Limited

85 Limited trip meter/ride level

Postby MadMikey » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi all, recently picked up an 85 Limited that I am restoring as much as possible. Two questions so far, first should be easy. It has a trip meter on the dash as well as on the tank. Have figured out how to reset the one on the tank (trip computer) but can't figure out the one on the dash.

Second is harder, my ride levels both read EEE. I hear a very faint sound for a few seconds when I turn on the bike which I figure is the onboard compressor but am guessing. Front/back ride adjustments have no effect. Do I need a new compressor or maybe switches controlling the compressor? My 87 doesn't have this feature so I am not sure how to proceed fixing it.

Also, just as a note, I have a complete 86 Aspencade to part out if someone needs something. Guy died and wife left it sitting out for 10 years. Thanks all

Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Ltd.

Re: 85 Limited trip meter/ride level

Postby Bray20 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:45 pm

Hi MadMikey
To reset the trip meter on the dash, there is a reset button on the far right side of the tank trip computer. It is under the portion of the trip computer marked dashboard meter. Turn your key on and hold the button marked trip reset and it should reset the trip meter on the dash, It will not reset while you are moving. And I don't think it will reset if it is in gear, but I could be wrong on that. As far as the hum you hear when you turn your key on, that is the fuel pump. If you are reading EEE on your air pressure, that means you have an error in your air system. Mine reads that also but I have my lines to my shocks disconnected. The PO put standard rear shocks on the rear and I put progressive springs in my front tubes and don't use the air pump. I hope this helps. By the way, if you haven't already, sense this is a thirty year old bike I would suggest cutting all major electrical plugs off and soldering and heat shrinking the joints. That helped my bike a lot.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”