Clutch Fluid?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
JDavis
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L

Clutch Fluid?

Postby JDavis » Fri Apr 03, 2015 9:16 pm

Is there something I have to fill with fluid to make the clutch work? My clutch is loose, it just moves about and doesn't work at all.

Dusty Boots
Motorcycle: 1992 GL1500Aspencade

Re: Clutch Fluid?

Postby Dusty Boots » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:15 am

JDavis wrote:Is there something I have to fill with fluid to make the clutch work? My clutch is loose, it just moves about and doesn't work at all.

I take it you mean your clutch lever is loose and moves about.

Sounds like your clutch fluid needs to be flushed out and bled
Although this How To is for a 1500, the same principle applies to the 1200

JDavis
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200L

Postby JDavis » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks! I'm new to this stuff (I'm only 16) so I don't really know to much about this bike, plus this bike was bought sort of blind, was an old friends who passed away and I wanted to restore it.

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:57 pm

In order to fill the clutch reservoir, you need to remove the screws holding the top of the reservoir on, then remove the top and the rubber boot under the lid. The correct fluid, if I recall correctly is DOT-4 brake fluid. It should have the fluid type written on the top cover of the clutch fluid reservoir.

If the clutch fluid is discolored, it is best to drain and bleed the reservoir as previously mentioned. There's a bleeder screw on the rear of the engine, next to the banjo bolt that connects the fluid line to the clutch housing cover. You may have a fluid leak internal to the engine, causing the loss of fluid, if the reservoir is low. Rebuilding the slave cylinder isn't a big deal, nor is it expensive... and as old as your bike is, it is likely time to do so. The master cylinder is also relatively easy to rebuild as it is located in the lower part of the reservoir.

I'm sure there's a "how to" somewhere on the site... Glad to see a person so young taking an active interest in restoring a classic motorcycle.

I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”