Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby » Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:15 am

I have a 1985 Limited. Anyone who knows Goldwings knows that this bike is a fuel injection bike, not carb. . I do not know enough about the other GL1200 models to know what relays or how many they have. I know I have had issues with the relays on particular bike and I have had to replace 1 to this point, however there are a few more that really should be replaced. I cannot find new relays for this bike. For the exception of having the local dealer finding me a close match which required minor modification to install on my bike. It does work and I have had no issues with it to date as the modification was to the outside of the relay for fittment nothing internal. I have contacted Omron directly and have been told they no longer make the relay in this bike and that I am pretty much just screwed. Not impressed with Omron at this point. Neither here nor there. My question is will a relay from a GL1500 work or is it a totally different relay design altogether? Please message me directly as I tend to lose messages I post in forums, as I follow a good many of them. Please post here as well so that others will know the answer to this question. Thank you for your time concerning this question! Take care , stay safe and always keep the rubber side down!

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Relays

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:27 am

Relays are not that complex - they're just a magnetic switch. As long as the coil doesn't draw too much current (and most automotive-style 12 volt relays draw almost the exact same amount for their coils), and the contacts are rated for at least or more than the contacts of the relay it is replacing, it will work. The GL1500 uses some SPST relays, SPDT relays (more common) will work just fine, just don't use the NC contact.

So if you can find a reliable relay that will physically fit, and can get it wired correctly, it should work just fine.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”