purchase advise

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

purchase advise

Postby sportsfreaked » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:58 pm

I am looking to buy a 1985 Honda 1200 limited with 64,000 miles on it for $3200.00. The bike has just been serviced with new belts and it does have a set of extra driving lights on it. The bike is clean and everything works on it. Is this a pretty good deal? I have an 81 gl1100 Interstate now that I will give to my son. What advise would you give. Thanks Ed

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

brianaber
Motorcycle: 1980 GL1100

Re: purchase advise

Postby brianaber » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:03 pm

hi,
I just imported 3 gl1200 ltd.'s into ISRAEL . and have another2 that were supposedly been serviced by a con artiste in MORTON IL, that I an expecting in the next month to import them if I can find the guy that I sent them to, and paid up front for the services :evil: ,, ok back to the bikes that I have received, after ridding a 82 gl1100 for three years , the difference in the 1200 is amazing a completely different ride a great bike all round only I was under the impression that the fuel injection would be better on fuel consumption not so the 83 was 16 kpl where as the 1200 is giving 12.8 at the best, but its worth it as its a great bike, had overcharging problems on both bikes but the guru VIRGIL came to the rescue and now both are running @ 14.3 volts constantly. I am sure you will really enjoy the bike. buy the way I paid $3500 for the one and$3750 for the other after shipping and IMPORT tax!)*% the landed here close to $8000!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 4:05 pm

Not knowing the history of the bike you're looking at, it is hard to say what it is worth... to me. The question is, do you feel the bike is a good deal at that price? I've seen 1200's advertised for as little as $900 locally, and as much as $4500 within the same distance from the house. The $4500 Aspencade looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor... obviously the one for $900 did not.

In most cases, if you do a little homework and look long enough, you'll find the right bike for you. It really won't matter what you spend up-front if it makes you happy on the back end of the deal. For $3200, I'd expect a clean, well cared-for bike that has a history of well performed maintenance... new timing belts, new tires, fresh looking paint and with everything working on it as it should work.

I paid $900 for mine and have put some work into getting it so it is reliable... the paint is badly faded, and there are broken things on it (missing air compressor for one thing) and some shoddy plastic repairs. I've never been one to fall in love with a bike solely on looks. I wouldn't care if mine were rattle-can flat black as long as it runs like it should, when and where it should. The original asking price on mine was $1600 but after riding it, I decided it needed enough work that I started to walk away. I asked the guy what he'd take to sell it right then for cash. He said he could live with $1000 and I told him I was leaning more toward $800... he said will you meet me halfway, and the rest is history. Most people expect to take a chop on their price when they put a "For sale" ad up for most anything... You can make an offer. Worst thing he can say is no...
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:05 pm

Thanks for the replies so far. The bike is in immaculate condition and everything works. It has been well maintained and it has just recently had the timing belts changed as well as oil and coolant. It does have all the service records with it as well. I guess I will go for it. It's a nice Honda Goldwing limited. Thanks.

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”