Driveshaft/rear end problem 1986 Interstate 1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
lukeinmexico
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Goldwing Interstate

Driveshaft/rear end problem 1986 Interstate 1200

Postby lukeinmexico » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:31 pm

Hello,
I'm pretty new to this forum; I bought my first Goldwing about a month ago.
I'm writing this thread because I made a terribly boneheaded mistake and I need some advice. I was doing another job on the bike and noticed a small leak in the rear end. I noticed what looked like a dip stick end sticking up, off the rear end. I mistakenly ripped it off the bike noticing that this piece is not supposed to be removed. A friend suggested using something like silicon to seal it back on, but I'm hoping someone can tell me what I've done and how I can fix my ridiculously stupid mistake. Included are two pictures to help show what I've done. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The bike is a 1986 Goldwing Interstate 1200.

Thanks!
Attachments

ct1500
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500

Re: Driveshaft/rear end problem 1986 Interstate 1200

Postby ct1500 » Sun Apr 05, 2015 9:57 pm

That is a vent and the part removed simply the vent cap. The cap keeps dirt/water out from the final drive.

Get some JB weld or similar and reattach best as possible.
This is what I do
Local and need repair help with your 1500, Valkyrie or ST please PM

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:36 am

Having never removed the vent cap on the rear end myself, I do not really know what keeps it in place. I have a feeling it was just pressed on with a little interference. JB weld may well be a great way of putting it back on the rear-end.

I was thinking while reading and thought you may be able to crimp the cap a little and gently tap it back in place... if you do use some kind of adhesive, be sure to clean all the gear lube off both surfaces (alcohol will work nicely) and make sure you don't let any of the "glue" get inside the rear end. Maybe someone else who has done the same thing will report on their fix for this.

We all make mistakes. Yours is not so bad as to disable your bike for very long. I'm told people who don't make mistakes are the ones who never do anything. If that's true, I must have done a lot in my lifetime. The important thing about mistakes is that we learn from them. You may have saved someone else from doing exactly the same thing by posting your experience here.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

lukeinmexico

Postby lukeinmexico » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:07 pm

Thank you!
Other people have told me it's important to keep the hole open so pressure doesn't build up in the rear end causing it to leak. Other people have suggested just pinching the cap to keep it on while still allowing airflow.
What do you guys think?
Thanks again!
-Bobby

HawkeyeGL1200
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:30 pm

It's definitely a vent, so you don't want to block the opening. If a slight pinch will provide enough tension to keep the cap in place, then that's what I'd do. As I wrote earlier, I've never taken a vent cap off, so I don't know how much force it takes to do it. Seems to me, you know exactly how hard it was to get it to come off, and you'd be the resident expert on what it takes to keep one in place now that you've had it off.

If it takes some adhesive or epoxy, to keep the vent in place, then by all means go that way.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

lukeinmexico

Postby lukeinmexico » Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:36 pm

Thanks Hawkeye!
I appreciate the help.
I'll let you know how it goes!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”