Single carb for scrappy?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I

Single carb for scrappy?

Postby nlovern » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:17 am

I was thinking of putting a single carb on scrappy. the stock ones look like there from the ocean floor. Rust and corrosion. Ive read the pros n cons, just wanted to have something different on Scrappy.Stock used carbs are about $100 and up, VW solex carb little less. Does it matter what material the manifold bode is made from? Was thinking of wood. PVC runners.
I thought it might be worth a try to see how it will work.
PS. Anyone have a used front 19in tire they let go cheap? Ill trade any of Scrappys bodywork even?

Nathan lovern,Va

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Single carb for scrappy?

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:52 am

There are plenty of happy Goldwing owners who have removed the stock carb rack and replaced it with a single carb. I think there's a better and easier choice for this conversion, but I'll have to dig through my notes on the subject. Last time I considered it, I had bookmarks for a web site to buy a VW plenum and a new carb (Tom Langdon is the guys name, I think, who sells a NEW carb for about 100$ that is jetted pretty perfectly for this job--- 2 barrel) and I don't see them on this computer... I'm hoping I still have them on my laptop at work.

There's at least one single carb guy on this site, who made his own manifold and runners. I'm waiting to hear back from him on fuel economy... There's a MC salvage yard in Richmond, and I believe he has some 1100 model carbs for sale R&B .. if you decide to stay stock.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”