Timing belts

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
fcanary
Motorcycle: 1986 1200 Interstate

Timing belts

Postby fcanary » Sun Apr 12, 2015 7:36 am

After a winter of wondering if I should change my timing belts myself or getting professional help I finally did it yesterday, like a big boy....all by myself. It went well, just like the Goldwingdoc video, right down to the right side springing out of position. Took it slow, checked, rechecked, and rechecked again. Finally decided I was good, changed the thermostat and hoses while she was apart. And, for good measure, just before I put the radiator back on I took the covers off and rechecked the it all again including tension. Pretty anal I know but just wanted to be sure. Sure glad I changed the old ones as they were original, 29 years old and 38,000 miles on them and were starting to show some wear. Put her all back together, and fired her right up. Sounded good, no rapping or skipping. Took her around the neighborhood and it was fine with good power. Now, I am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but it was not a bad job,took about four hours, a lot of that time was rechecking my work. Kinda sorta gives me the confidence to try other situations if they arise.

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Re: Timing belts

Postby WINGER3 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi fcanary; Welcome to the site, now that wasn't that hard was it? and no, you where not over checking every last little item, caution is always best when you could break your engine if it's wrong. I have replaced timming belts on 5 Goldwings 1-1100 2-1200's 2-1500's, just did my 85 1200 with only 25K mi. on it 3 weeks ago and pulled the covers after first ride to re-check right side for tension and found it was to loose and was making a very slight slapping sound. So follow your intuition and then you will have peace of mind and don't be afraid to tackle any project if you follow the Do it Yourself guides on this site and ask QUESTIONS. Good ridding and be safe. :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

fcanary

Postby fcanary » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:51 pm

Ahhh, didn't think to recheck after riding. How difficult is it with the radiator in place? I have heard some people have replaced belts without removing the radiator, saw a tool advertised for that purpose, but to me it looked like everything would be in the way. Will have to look at it after a couple miles put on it. Thanks for the advise.

WINGER3
Motorcycle: current 2005 GL1800ABS previous GL1200A GL1500K GL1100A CB350 GL650I VFR1000 ST1100 GL1200A GL1500I + many other brands

Postby WINGER3 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:18 pm

Hi fcanary, unless you feel or hear something comeing from the timming belt area, I would not re-open it, I heard some light slapping noise and that is why I went back in. You can drain the coolent and remove lower hose and lower radiator bolts to allow you to get at the covers, just pull the lower part of the radiator forward, cover your fender and bunge the radiator to hold it away from the covers. With a long handled ratchet and allen socket you can remove the covers, it's just harder to get at the belts and idlers to replace the belts & make sure you get it right, but to just check or readjust the idlers for tension it works fine. :mrgreen:
DON'T DESTROY IT-RESTORE IT

fcanary

Postby fcanary » Sun Apr 12, 2015 5:43 pm

Got it, will pay attention to any unusual noise and go back in if needed. Thanks.

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby oldishwinger » Sun Apr 12, 2015 6:28 pm

new belts can cause 'harmonics' I had a mechanic do mine, and when I got the bike back, it sounded like one of the new adjusters was bad, I had the mechanic tear it down again.

everything was fine, as he explained, the sprockets, are slightly worn, and the new belts, sit a little out of the slots causing a rattly sort of noise. He explained that as the belts bed in the noise will disappear, but in the mean time he sprayed the belts with belt oil.

He was right, it took a while but eventually the noise eased.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”