Stereo Conversion in my '86 Aspencade GL1200

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Quarteg
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200a Aspencade

Stereo Conversion in my '86 Aspencade GL1200

Postby Quarteg » Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:37 am

I point this out in the video and will mention it again, there is no way to tie into the electrical system with an aftermarket stereo. That said, I am sure you can find some company willing to charge you thousands of dollars to create a special stereo that will work for it, but I highly doubt it.

This video shows a step by step instruction on how to simply replace the original stereo and clock. Check it out when you get a chance.

Thanks,
~ John

"Good things come to those who wait. Great things come to those who go out and get them!" ~ John Chroninger 1998

alanc1100
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A Aspencade

Re: Stereo Conversion in my '86 Aspencade GL1200

Postby alanc1100 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:03 am

Hi there Quarteg,
You made a bold statement, "there is no way to tie into the electrical system with an aftermarket stereo." Apparently, you did not do enough research. Oregonwinger posted on Goldwingfacts forum in May 2006, with the pinout page from the RM-1100 manual. I'm glad your way worked out for you. But, if/when my Panasonic unit dies, I think I'm going with a mech-less (no c/d) unit and use the connector out of the Panasonic radio to tie-in everything. I like things to work after a mod, like the mute button and the channel select. IMO, the only real limiting factor is the wiring through the connectors are so small. But, one can make a heavier duty sub-harness if high power is desired. I just want to hear my stereo loud and clear.
Alan

Quarteg

Postby Quarteg » Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:51 am

Thank you for the update, I will check into it. I researched the hell out of it and came up with nothing. I even went on other forums and could find nothing.

The other problems I ran into with people who did other conversions is that the other stereo's simply don't exist anymore. I am quite sure in a year or so, the radio I purchased will be off the market.

Feel free to supply a link to the article you are talking about, I would love to see it. I had also talked with a car audio place in my area and they too assured me there is no current way to tie in an aftermarket stereo. I would love to be able to tie in to it so I can also use the muting feature. Right now the radio is so loud people just stare from blocks away.

Thanks for your info,

~ John
"Good things come to those who wait. Great things come to those who go out and get them!" ~ John Chroninger 1998

alanc1100

Postby alanc1100 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:41 pm

Quarteg, here is the thread I was referring to:

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... sette.html

See post #2. It also has the PDF that shows all the connector's pin outs.

Alan

alanc1100

Postby alanc1100 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:03 pm

Another thread where Goldwingring actually did the conversion and got it working.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-g ... quest.html

That is what I'm gonna do.

Later, Alan

Quarteg

Postby Quarteg » Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:37 am

I too have a similar pdf that shows all the connections. The problem is, you have to find an aftermarket stereo to support these functions. For example, the auto volume. I was told that aftermarket stereos do not cover this feature. This is something that is built into the stereo and not a function of the circuit.

I saw an article also on Goldwingfacts where a guy said he did it, but never showed how and that was over 2+ years ago. The problem is not tapping into the system, you need a stereo that can tap into it.

Unless someone can show me otherwise, I have to go with what the car audio guys are telling me. Aftermarket stereos are no longer built to handle these kind of features. It is no different than owning a GM car or truck. You cannot get an aftermarket stereo to auto volume.

If you find something that will, let me know, I can easily tap into the system to make it work. I just wish someone would make an adapter to just plug into it without having to dismantle the stereo itself to use its adapter.

Thanks for all the information you have been sending, it helps. :D

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”