Fan problem has really stumped me

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tvtruth
Motorcycle: 1981 GL1100 naked
1987 GL1200I

Fan problem has really stumped me

Postby tvtruth » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:32 pm

Looking for some help here. My fan stopped working so I figured Thermo switch was bad so I grounded the pins on the switch together thinking the fan would kick on but go no joy. The black blue wire coming the fan has 12v on it (Well 11.48 with the ignition on) so I tried grounding the black wire in that connector still no fan. I pulled the radiator (no biggie) and pulled the fan off and hooked it up directly to a 12v battery + & - and "zoom" the fan worked. Then I tried remotely hooking up to that blue/black wire again with the ignition on but still nothing. So weird. Any ideas?

Just sitting here shaking my head.....

Oh....87 1200i btw....and yes, the 10amp fuse is fine.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Fan problem has really stumped me

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:09 pm

tvtruth wrote:Looking for some help here. My fan stopped working so I figured Thermo switch was bad so I grounded the pins on the switch together thinking the fan would kick on but go no joy. The black blue wire coming the fan has 12v on it (Well 11.48 with the ignition on) so I tried grounding the black wire in that connector still no fan. I pulled the radiator (no biggie) and pulled the fan off and hooked it up directly to a 12v battery + & - and "zoom" the fan worked. Then I tried remotely hooking up to that blue/black wire again with the ignition on but still nothing. So weird. Any ideas?

Just sitting here shaking my head.....

Oh....87 1200i btw....and yes, the 10amp fuse is fine.

Just like "follow the money" you need to "follow the voltage."

Power comes from the ignition switch, through the 10 amp fuse, to the fan. From the fan, it goes to the thermo switch, and from there to ground.

With the bike keyswitch turned to ON, measure the voltage on both sides of the fuse holder (with the fuse in it), make sure you have +12 volts on both sides. If you haven't got +12 volts there, then you have a problem between there and the key switch.

Next measure the blue/black wire on the fan. It too should have +12 volts on it, as it is coming directly from the 10 amp fuse.

If you have voltage there, then try grounding the black wire on the fan - that is the one that connects the fan to ground through the thermo switch. If the fan turns on, then you've got a bad ground.

Check the green wire on the thermo switch, make sure it is actually grounded - if it isn't, the fan will never run.

The fan circuit really is quite simple:

Fan Circuit
Fan Circuit

tvtruth
1987 GL1200I

Postby tvtruth » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:48 pm

Thanks very much! I'll let you know what I discover.

alwims
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200 Aspencade
2008 GL1800

Postby alwims » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:02 pm

tvtruth
1987 GL1200I

Postby tvtruth » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:51 pm

OK mystery solved. Turns out the connector going into the fan was bad. I also suspect the tiny diode that was part of the fan assembly had an intermittent problem. Anyway, while I had it all off I did replace the thermo switch with a new one. However, I tested the old one and it was fine. By the way, I discovered you can test the thermo switch with a butane torch. Kind of sketchy but way faster that the whole oil or water boiling thing.
Got a working fan off ebay and hooked it up and everything worked right off the bat. Thanks for everyone's help.

newgoldwingrider
Motorcycle: 82 gold wing interstate

Postby newgoldwingrider » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:24 pm

Hello I have problem with my fan also it was wired direct to a switch when u turn the key off the fan wld shut off worked great but today I was in drive through and noticed the bike got hot so I parked and shut it down checked the fan and nothing. Now I have a wire coming from the positive side of the battery with a fuse I don't know what its foe I tried to trace it but it was hooked up to nothing and it was hot (had power) I think it may have somthing to do with my fan problem but I checked the fan switch and it has a black wire that is ground and a red wire that goes to what I believe is the thermo switch cld it be possible that the wire from the battery goes to somthing with the fan please help and I was wondwring if I shld be ok to still ride it as long as I don't stop and idle for to long?

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:40 pm

I once rode 150km " with no fan " so yes you can .
..... As long as you are moving , and the temp never climbs up to 8 bars ( red ) its sorta "ok ". Keep moving , and use 5th gear a lot, ride in the evening .

The fan circuit is pretty simple .. ... Test the thermal switch ( they can get gunk inside and stop working.) I have seen instructions on this site for cleaning this switch , although you can buy a good "used " one for less than $50 .
Test the fan to be sure its spinning under voltage . They can also get dirt / gunge inside and turn too slowly .... but generally if you give them 12 volts they will work.

In my overheating case, it was none of these.
Heavy Sigh !!

The various connectors were highly corroded bullet connectors.( 30 years old ? ) . Although there is not much room in there, ( Extra wire will get caught on blades)
I really cleaned up all the pins and sockets on the thermal switch , then slowly soldered / shrink-wrapped all the other very short connections, including the wires to the over ride handlebar switch and to the indicator LED. Zap Strap all flappy wires !

While I was in there, cleaned Rad , new matte black paint , new top and bottom hoses, and new 50/50 antifreeze .
The connections were the problem ... the rest was just to make me feel good .

That was 3 years ago ... no problems since .

SilverDave

tvtruth
1987 GL1200I

Postby tvtruth » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:08 am

You can use that powered wire to connect to the fan switch directly. I wouldn't take a chance riding without the fan. These babies can get hot.

newgoldwingrider
Motorcycle: 82 gold wing interstate

Postby newgoldwingrider » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:37 am

thank you for all your help I got it fixed this morning u you were all very helpful and I wld love to start a new thread but I just cant figure out how I am sorry for that I will keep looking and try and figure out how thank you again for everyone's help

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”