clunk noise when letting off throttle while moving

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
thirdstorybase
Motorcycle: 1987 gl1200 interstate

clunk noise when letting off throttle while moving

Postby thirdstorybase » Mon Apr 27, 2015 1:58 pm

hello,
i am experiencing a clunking noise when i let off the throttle quickly while in motion. if i let off the throttle slowly it doesny happen? 1987 l1200 any ideas. i am leaning toward the u-joint but this is just a guess

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: clunk noise when letting off throttle while moving

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:16 pm

thirdstorybase wrote:hello,
i am experiencing a clunking noise when i let off the throttle quickly while in motion. if i let off the throttle slowly it doesny happen? 1987 l1200 any ideas. i am leaning toward the u-joint but this is just a guess

That would be on the top of my list as well. Also check the dampers in the rear wheel.

deanbw
Motorcycle: 1986 gl1200a aspencade . Honda xl600r, '68 z50, '82z50, '80cx500c, '00 klr250

Postby deanbw » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:10 pm

U-joint could be a problem, wheel rubbers or and I hate to say it, the splines on the drive plate/ drive unit. I don't know if you check and grease yours but a high wear item left unattended. you don't want to find what I found when I bought my bike...

grithaler
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Postby grithaler » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:27 am

I've been riding for some time - mostly Hondas, but I've recently become a GW newbie when I picked up an '86 GL1200i last month with about 122,000 km (almost 76,000 miles) on it. The bike was in great shape all around, but I noticed a slight clunk from below my right leg when I eased on and off the throttle in higher gears during my test drive. I questioned the seller about it, and he stated he had it checked out by a Honda service tech who told him that it was a normal noise for "those" years of Wings. This was the seller's first GW as well, and he had only owned it for two years, before upgrading to a GL1500. I checked on my iPhone on a few bike forums (not GoldwingDocs, unfortunately), and I read a couple posts which indicated something about a normal noise on these Wings that sounded familiar to what I had heard. So I decided to take a chance and bought the bike.

Over the next few weeks, I didn't get too many chances to ride due to other commitments and poor weather. But when I did, I always noticed that noise, but it didn't sound like it was getting worse. Cut to last week. Took my wife out for our first long ride. Got out about 50 miles from home, and running at about 60 mph on the highway when out of no where there came a load clunk and rattling from beneath me. Clutched off and managed to safely pull off and stop on the side of the road. Engine sounded fine under low and high rpm in neutral, so I slipped it into 1st and tried to roll out slowly. Pulled across the highway to a gas station, but if I got more than a crawl going, the noise would come back hard, and I had to clutch off right away. Got my GW trucked back home and started the research, this time on GoldwingDocs. Seemed to be a pattern I noticed, and so I started the tear down, using great tips and instructions for posters, and specifically from WingAdmin. I was pretty sure I knew where I was going based on the tips, but when I pulled back the rubber boot between the swingarm and the engine, I was a bit surprised. This is what my universal looked like after I pulled the pieces out of the swingarm:
The two pieces of what's left of my universal
The two pieces of what's left of my universal

Luckily, despite the total destruction of this part, the drive shaft, the output drive, and the final drive all seem to be in good shape. All splines seem to be square with no broken teeth or edges. Just need to get a new universal now, and get this girl back on the road!

BTW, when I pulled the rear wheel off, there was a bit of oil that came out the back-end of the swing-arm where it mates to the rear wheel drive. Would you believe that this would be from a leaking "rear case" oil seal over the output drive shaft (from the engine which connects to the universal)?? Probably should replace it now while I have everything apart just to be sure?
86 GL1200 Interstate. 125,000 km and counting! Ridin' High in Beautiful B.C.

thirdstorybase

Postby thirdstorybase » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:38 am

Going to start by pulling it apart next week with the belief that it is the universal joint. hopefully i will be right. if not i will send pictures of what i have. have to find a u joint first as they aren't made any longer. i planned on riding up to thunder Beach bikefest up in panama city this weekend but don't think i want to chance the 12 hour roundtrip ride with it making this noise

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:54 am

You were lucky with that U joint, when they self-destruct like that they can sometimes do a fair amount of damage.

I still have (as a souvenir) a piece of driveshaft that failed in the race car that I used to crew on. When it failed, the (now loose) end, still connected to the rear end, flopped around like crazy, broke through its containment ring and destroyed a whole bunch of aluminum. It started working its way through the seat bolster, and was just an inch or two from the driver's thigh by the time he got it stopped.

dlfenny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby dlfenny » Fri May 01, 2015 10:03 am

My 1986 Goldwing has been making the same kind of noise that it sounds like your talking about. Took it in to the Honda shop and got a call a few weeks later and was told it was the splines and that I need to replace the rear wheel. Had to wait till they could find one used. When they did it was replaced almost $600.00 later. Any way rode it home and still heard a clunk. Took it back to them and let the mechanic ride it to hear what I was hearing. He told me it could be just about anything, but without tearing it apart again there was no way of knowing. I thought that's why I took it to them in the first place! He said the u-joint looked ok. The noise is almost non-existent when I first start out on the bike, but after it warms up you hear it. If anyone has thoughts they would be welcomed.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 04, 2015 2:41 pm

Did he actually pull the driveshaft out to examine the U-joint, or did he just give it a twist and call it OK?

dlfenny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Interstate

Postby dlfenny » Mon May 04, 2015 11:17 pm

Don't know if he pulled it out or not. He just said it looked ok.

SlowTyper
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

Postby SlowTyper » Tue May 05, 2015 12:03 am

Check the splines on the driveshaft near the universal joint not far from the transmission. And grease them!

One possible reason for your clunk is as follows:

As the bike elevation changes, the length of the driveshaft changes. The way this is accomplished is that there is a long spline on the front of the driveshaft that is spring loaded, and the universal joint slides forward and back on this spline as needed to keep the driveshaft the correct length.

However, when the spline is lacking lubrication, the universal joint does not get pushed toward the end of the spline by the spring when your weight shifts forward and the rear swing arm lowers slightly. Consequently, the whole drive shaft becomes loose because it is too short! However, once the torque is completely removed, the spring successfully pushes the universal joint to its intended position. And because that happens abruptly, it makes a clunk when everything snaps back into place again.

IF this is the cause of your clunk (and there is more than one possible cause), then you should fix it soon since ignoring it will likely mangle the spline of the back of the transmission. With some difficulty, you might be able to get to both splines and grease them by sliding the rubber boot out the way. However, I am not sure about this. Getting grease to the spline on the driveshaft (the one with the spring) might require that you remove the rear wheel and driveshaft. And this is the spline that causes the clunk when not adequately lubricated.

Actually, no matter what the cause of your clunk, you should probably fix it soon to avoid damage. Another complaint is a clicking sound heard in the rear when rolling at slow speed in a quiet environment. This is caused by a rear wheel bearing turning in the hub, and is another urgent issue.

thirdstorybase

Postby thirdstorybase » Sat May 23, 2015 1:21 am

well, i got the u joint changed out and the noise went away for about two days before coming back. the differential (pumpkin) that the drive shaft goes into was pretty twisted and worn. i am getting a new differential and trying that next. will report back in a week or two once the part gets here.

grithaler
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200I Interstate

Postby grithaler » Tue May 26, 2015 11:51 pm

Well I ordered a used u-joint from eBay and changed it out last week. The replacement u-joint was in good shape and with about 63,000 miles on it. Still tight, well greased and the inner splines were in good shape. My drive shaft, final drive and output shaft splines were luckily all in good shape so, after cleaning all the old grease off everything, I gave all parts a good coverage with Moly 40 Assembly Paste by Molyslip (really hard to find Moly 60 by Molyslip, let alone Moly 60 Paste from Honda) and reassembled everything. While I was at it, I changed the oil seal on the drive coming out of the rear case, and replaced my rear wheel bearings, seals and o-rings, changed my final drive gear oil, and gave her a complete oil filter and oil change.

Putting the drive components back together took a bit of time, particularly sliding the drive shaft into the u-joint when they're both sitting way up inside the swing arm, but all went well. The only assembly problem I ran into was that I snapped the rear axle cinch bolt when I was torquing it down - it snapped at only 12 lbs, and I was supposed to get it to 19lbs. So I had to drill the broken threads out and replace the bolt with a readily available one from my local bike shop.

After all was back together, I took her out for a short 2 mile "sound check". All seemed OK. The next day I went out for a 60 km shake down ride with no problems. The the following day I took her out for a 450 km day trip on open highway and winding roads and she handled like a dream. Smooth and quiet! I don't know what a bike shop would have charged me to do this work, but the fact that there's a lot of simple grunt work involved to tear apart the luggage, the luggage frames, and remove the rear wheel, I'm sure you'd rack up the cost with all of that even before you tackle the main problem. Glad I was able to get it done myself. Always that satisfaction of learning about your own bike when you rip 'er apart and put 'er back together again (successfully)!

Big hats off to GoldwingDocs and, particularly, WingAdmin. Great web site and forums, and WingAdmin is a wealth of no-bull advice and information. If you come riding up to Beautiful BC, let me know; I owe you a coffee!
86 GL1200 Interstate. 125,000 km and counting! Ridin' High in Beautiful B.C.

jdtetoit
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200A
1988 GL1500A

Postby jdtetoit » Sat May 30, 2015 8:37 pm

Interesting, have a clunk also but mine is at take off. So maybe she needs a look at with the possibility the shaft is popping into place at take off. And seeing as I am in "might as well" mode (pic attached) I will be looking into that.
Attachments

thirdstorybase

Postby thirdstorybase » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:07 am

Well,
i finally got the problem taken care of. i had the u joint, and the rear end replaced and while we were in there went ahead and replaced the rear rotor and pads. rear tire and even a new starter because mine was dragging. its running great with no more noise. Total labor bill was only $65. i have the best mechanic in the florida tampa bay area. if your in the tampa area check out Danny Wards Bay city Cycles in Hudson. i was expecting a hefty bill and he said no way because he was having to remove the rear end any way so why charge for just swapping out the parts. very cool!!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:47 am

thirdstorybase wrote:Well,
i finally got the problem taken care of. i had the u joint, and the rear end replaced and while we were in there went ahead and replaced the rear rotor and pads. rear tire and even a new starter because mine was dragging. its running great with no more noise. Total labor bill was only $65. i have the best mechanic in the florida tampa bay area. if your in the tampa area check out Danny Wards Bay city Cycles in Hudson. i was expecting a hefty bill and he said no way because he was having to remove the rear end any way so why charge for just swapping out the parts. very cool!!

Add him and your comments to the Vendors Database so other people can search and find him!

filupsd
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200 Standard

Postby filupsd » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:23 am

I like Woodbine Cycle Salvage in Iowa. They specialize in ol wings. Parts are always as described.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”