Finally got started

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Phunnybone
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD
1985 GL1200 LTD (#2)
1983 GL650i Silverwing (Sold to someone who'll make it roadworthy again)

Finally got started

Postby Phunnybone » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:36 pm

Finally got started working on the 'parts' bike (my second '85 LTD - picked it up for $800). Amazing how much easier it is to work on when its up on a lift. First things first of course - changed the timing belts. The bike hasn't been on the road for 7 years and it still had Mother Honda timing belts (little bit thicker than the NAPA version). This time I remembered to screw the timing port plug back in (made a real mess when I did my first '85). Of course, some hoses are brittle, so while I've got it apart I'll be replacing those hoses, replacing the thermostat, replacing the old coolant with new, rebuilding brake and clutch cylinders, & changing the oil. While I'm at it, I might as well change the fuel filter and figure out how to drain the old gas out of the tank. Still debating on leaving the stabilizers off (two pistons up front with controls on the left handlebar - will have to get a key made if I keep them).

Once I get it running, then I'll be able to use it to figure out where everything goes on the original '85 I bought a few years back. One of those things that I was working on it, winter came (no garage), we moved, then it sat in a crowded garage with no room to work on it. Now I have room.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”