Aftermarket radio issue

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
87goldie
Motorcycle: 87 gl1200

Aftermarket radio issue

Postby 87goldie » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:23 pm

[list=][/list]I put an aftermarket radio in all works good accept won keep memory. So I ran the memory wire straight to the battery. So now it keeps memory. But I have noticed the when I put in my s.d. card or touch ANY metal to the ignition the radio will light up as if it was turning on and then turn of again. I cut the memory wire off the battery and now the radio won't even come on with bike running. Please help I'm going nuts chasing wireing here!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Aftermarket radio issue

Postby WingAdmin » Fri May 01, 2015 9:12 am

87goldie wrote:[list=][/list]I put an aftermarket radio in all works good accept won keep memory. So I ran the memory wire straight to the battery. So now it keeps memory. But I have noticed the when I put in my s.d. card or touch ANY metal to the ignition the radio will light up as if it was turning on and then turn of again. I cut the memory wire off the battery and now the radio won't even come on with bike running. Please help I'm going nuts chasing wireing here!

Wow, that's a bit odd. I suspect it's going to be down to the operation of the radio itself. What kind of radio did you put in?

87goldie

Postby 87goldie » Fri May 01, 2015 9:28 am

It's a marine radio by pyle. Bought on amazon.

87goldie

Postby 87goldie » Fri May 01, 2015 9:35 am

Right after I bought it I had an issue with it not starting took it back to the shop I got it from and they said that the wiring from the starter solenoid to the starter to the voltage regulator had fried. I took it all apart last night to try to figure out the radio and found that they cut the harness from the voltage regulator slice 3 years for the alternator into brown wires and ran those directly to the alternator. then display the two red wires from the voltage regulator with the black wire into one wire and ran straight to the positive on the battery. then they took the two green wires from the voltage regulator spliced into 1 green wire and ran that street to the negative on the battery. from what I can tell from the wiring schematic in the Clymer shop manual I think the black wire should go up to the starter switch and not displayed in to the two red wires. but I'm not a mechanic and I'm not good with electrical. I have noticed that at times the bike starts really slow like the battery is almost dead but everytime I go to put the charger on it after 5 minutes the readout tells me it is full the bike is always registering 14 on the voltmeter except when I come to a stop and I'm on the brakes it drops to 12 but then when I let off the brAke it goes back up to 14.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon May 04, 2015 2:39 pm

87goldie wrote:Right after I bought it I had an issue with it not starting took it back to the shop I got it from and they said that the wiring from the starter solenoid to the starter to the voltage regulator had fried. I took it all apart last night to try to figure out the radio and found that they cut the harness from the voltage regulator slice 3 years for the alternator into brown wires and ran those directly to the alternator. then display the two red wires from the voltage regulator with the black wire into one wire and ran straight to the positive on the battery. then they took the two green wires from the voltage regulator spliced into 1 green wire and ran that street to the negative on the battery. from what I can tell from the wiring schematic in the Clymer shop manual I think the black wire should go up to the starter switch and not displayed in to the two red wires. but I'm not a mechanic and I'm not good with electrical. I have noticed that at times the bike starts really slow like the battery is almost dead but everytime I go to put the charger on it after 5 minutes the readout tells me it is full the bike is always registering 14 on the voltmeter except when I come to a stop and I'm on the brakes it drops to 12 but then when I let off the brAke it goes back up to 14.

The wiring they did is technically correct, however you're correct in that the black (sense) wire should be SWITCHED +12 volts, not directly hooked to the battery. This could cause your battery to die after some time. The best way to do this is to leave the black wire hooked to the battery (please make sure it's fused), but to insert a relay that switches the black wire on when the ignition is on.

Brake lights draw quite a bit of power, and when you're at a stop, your stator is not generating enough power to run the bike. That's why at a stop, your brake lights will drop the available power by a couple volts. It's normal.

87goldie

Postby 87goldie » Tue May 05, 2015 6:52 pm

That's what I thought. It just seems like a really weird way for a shop to fix it. I could have done that in my drive way. The wire schematic I have out of the shop manual shows the black going to the starter switch. It is all (2 reds and black) on a in line fuse. I think I may order a main harness on line and replace it all this summer.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”