Cornering Lights Yes another question.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Cornering Lights Yes another question.

Postby sportsfreaked » Fri May 08, 2015 5:58 pm

I have searched and can't find the answer anywhere. First let me start by saying I am trying to get the bike's electrical system back to stock because the PO liked to play electrician I think and well it wasn't a mess but close to it. I have a 85 special edition. When I got it the cornering lights would be on all the time. To accomplish this he had a paperclip for a jumper on the 2 relays in the (fuse box). He also had cut the wire from the large plug in for the ECM which I found out controlled the side front marker lights. I put that back the way it was suppose to be and now I have marker lights on one side anyway. I removed the left side front pocket and there was a connector in there that he had cut as well. I replaced that so it was like it was suppose to be. I bought the relays for the cornering lights and I have one in and I am waiting for the other to arrive it should be here tomorrow.

I now have no cornering lights when I turn the blinker on. I took the lower fairing off and all wires going the cornering lights are in tact. I don't see where any were cut. I know there is something out there that says you can cut a wire and the lights will stay on. What wire is that? I do have the schematic for the cornering lights but reading schematics is not my strong point. What would be the obvious things to check for? I would prefer the cornering lights only work when turning because I also have a front light bar that I would prefer to have all the time instead of the cornering lights as it gives better visibility.

I know this is a lot and some of it doesn't make sense probably so feel free to call me an idiot or to please explain this or that LOL. As always thanks for the knowledge!

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: Cornering Lights Yes another question.

Postby virgilmobile » Fri May 08, 2015 8:03 pm

Check fuse #3.
Do the new relays click when you operate the turn signal?

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Sat May 09, 2015 8:17 pm

Ok the fuses are good and the relays don't click when the turn signal is on. I guess I am just going to have to take the darn fairing off and the travel computer and the false tank and just start tracing wires unless anyone has a better idea or an area I should check first. Thanks. Ed
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Sat May 09, 2015 10:57 pm

You said you have a schematic,correct?
if you pull one relay,there should be volts with the key on(one terminal-brown/blue wire)volts should appear when the turn signal is switched on,and one ground.Because it does not click,I would first find out if the coil wire has volts when the switch is turned on or if the ground is missing.
Volts to make them click come in on a light blue/white and orange/white from the turn signal switch assembly.That switch is fed power from a brown/white wire.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”