windshield too tall

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
naked84
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 std.

windshield too tall

Postby naked84 » Sun May 10, 2015 8:52 am

Looking for an effective way to cut 1-1/2" from the top of a plexifairing without damaging it. I wear glasses and a full face helmet so one less "window" would help the visibility, esp. at night. Any thoughts? Thanks!

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: windshield too tall

Postby rzaugg » Sun May 10, 2015 1:13 pm

I have an old windshield off of my 1500 that is so fogged that I couldn't use it anymore, problem is that it has the hand engraved image of an eagle and looks really good. Got the new windshield so was going to try the same thing that you want for when I show the bike. My step-by step would be as follows:

1. Tape off windshield and/or mark where you want to cut to. (Just would be more confident in look if I can visualize while on the bike)
2. Remove windshield (because it will be easier to cut)
3. Squeeze windshield to flat on workbench, as close to cut line as possible (something soft between wood and windshield would be a good idea as not to scratch)
4. Coping saw or hacksaw would probably cut ok for a rough cut, move windshield in clamps to stay close to cut line as you go and stay a little away from your line so you have room to sand down to your line.
5. Sand down to your finished line using finer paper as you get closer. Round off the sharp corners.
6. I also had the idea that you could try to finish with a heat gun, but I don't know (haven't tried) what it will do to Lexan. Since my old windshield is not really usable, I have nothing to lose and can just cut farther. It's just for show anyway.

I am not planning on doing this anytime soon, as it is not critical for me, and my wife's 1200 decided to start overheating. But if I get to it before you, I will revisit this post to show you how it came out and maybe have some pictures (if I think about it during), am really bad about remembering to take pics

Rick

naked84

Postby naked84 » Sun May 10, 2015 2:36 pm

Thanks for your input Rick. I wasn't sure it's made of lexan or plexiglass. Back in the day I had a unique faceshield, also made of lexan, that was two thin panes of lexan with a gap between the panes. The void was filled with two dissimilar oils, one clear and one dark grey, that never mixed, with a vinyl tube connecting the upper right corner to the upper left corner of the shield, a valve at each junction. To change to clear, simply open both valves and allow the two oils to flow from the tube to the shield, and vice versa.
The only problem is that the lexan developed hairline stress cracks which made visibility tough, esp. In low sun conditions.
I fear that trying to flatten the fairing would result in the same stress cracks. Maybe a form of wood with a matching contour well padded might work. Just a bit of brainstorming...good luck on the overheating condition and I you're both on the road again soon!
Carmine

63spyder
Motorcycle: 1986 goldwing aspencade

Postby 63spyder » Thu May 14, 2015 11:07 am

If you can make a form and also use it as a template for the cut you want, then use a router bit with a bearing to follow the template. Makes a real nice clean cut, then sand and polish the edges.

naked84

Postby naked84 » Thu May 14, 2015 11:19 am

Great idea! Now to locate a router...

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”