More new blood

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
t5noel
Motorcycle: 1984 GL 1200I Goldwing InterState

More new blood

Postby t5noel » Sun May 10, 2015 7:06 pm

I've lurked in the background long enough. I was at an auction with a friend in Manchester, TN. A 1984 GL1200I came up and was going cheap, I thought. So I started bidding and won it. $1530, and your all laughing probably. I could have bought a better running one for the same price. But, then I probably would have never got around to buying one. It was not even on the radar to be looking for a motorcycle. You know how the excitement of an auction can mess with your head. When I bought it I know the engine was running, so I had that much going for me. So I brought it home and started reading up in here and watching youtube videos. Then I took the plunge and pulled the motor for starters. I've replaced the stator and have ordered a rebuild kit for the clutch slave cylinder. It was pretty rusty and nasty and the clutch was not working from the start. The wiring is not in the best of shape so I'm going to have to go over it carefully. Any way the journey begins. I'm new to motorcycles, I haven't ridden one since high school, 40 yrs ago. Since buying the Goldwing I took the motorcycle safety class. It was very illuminating. I would recommend it to anyone who has not taken one. I'm not new to a wrench, I recently finished a refurb on a 1974 GMC 1500 stepside. I figure a motorcycle can't be any harder. I would appreciate any advice on things to do and to look for while the engine is out. Thanks friends!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”