84 Charging Issues like MAJOR

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
CrazyLeggz
Motorcycle: 1984 1200 Aspencade

84 Charging Issues like MAJOR

Postby CrazyLeggz » Tue May 19, 2015 9:26 pm

have read threads on charging issues so I will try not to repete obvious questions . I used to get 14.4 then slowly lost charging down to 10.9 and so finally bike would not spin starter. Thinking starter problem I went to the Starter tutorial ( very good presentation ) Have to get posters name for thankU. OK so redid starter and 14.5 for almost hrs then fall of resumed .Now trying to go thru System even if I have to go down to the frame and wireing ;) QUESTIONS BEGIN when testing the yellow wires U know the ones Do I unplug them from stator and try to test the wires themselves or try the blades in the bike for continuity. I used multimeter from ground side of Battery to Engine and have a 12.56 reading more or less. Something cant be right as I'm not supposed to get any reading. How can I get that much of a reading without the Batt just draining away fast.Not the Sharpest tool when it comes to the Electrics Just determined to figure this out with end goal being a Poorboy set up first must sort out present issues; where to begin. Look for juice at the ignition with switch off? Use test light to find power with switch off . Maybe all the above. No riding till this gets sorted out AND how to test yellow wires when bike is running should there be power to the fuse box with switch off. HELP!

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: 84 Charging Issues like MAJOR

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Tue May 19, 2015 9:49 pm

G'day crazyleggz,

I am presuming you have a charging issue and that the bike is not starting after a period of running?

to test your stator output - you need to do a few simple tests..and one of the reasons that a bike is not charging a battery can be a faulty stator...plus a few other reasons as well.

The stator produces "alternating current AC" when the bike is running and transports this AC eletricity through those three yellow wires from the motor - through the plastic connector (problem 1) and on to the regulator/rectifier (problem 2) which then converts the AC to DC (direct current) - which is then used to provide the power to run your bike lectrics, charge the battery (problem 3) etc etc.

so tackle each problem in the process - and eliminate where the problem is first.. then fix it

I'll finish this off a bit later - have to go back to work now...

CrazyLeggz

Postby CrazyLeggz » Tue May 19, 2015 10:27 pm

Right see I soldered the wires long ago so what I don't know is exactly how to test for power .

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed May 20, 2015 4:33 am

Ok - you can still measure the wires if you don't mind some more soldering.

PART 1

1.Cut the solder joins in each yellow wire then test with your multimeter set to continuity first. then measure from the yellow wires coming from the motor. continuity is your OHM measurement
2. continuity is for each pair of wires being 1-2 2-3 3-1
3. each pair is probed from the cut end and you measure the resistance for each pair.
4. first put your multimeter probe ends together and get a reading - it should be close to 0 or could be .1 or something similar, take note of this reading.
5. Set your resistance on the meter to as low as possible.
6. measure 1-2 = it should be hopefully .5. or something, if it shows 1.0 or infinity then you have a problem with one of the coil circuits in the stator. But measure each pair and subtract the reading you wrote down from step 4 above.
7 measure and record 2-3, then 3-1.

that is the easiest way I know how to test for a crook stator.

PART 2

1. If the above all checks out as OK, you now need to test between each single wire and an earth/ground point. the same process as steps 6 & 7 above.
BUT this time you want a reading of infinity - in other words no connection between each individual wire and an earth on your bike - negative battery point is OK to use.

Let us know and we can go further.

:)

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Wed May 20, 2015 8:39 am

It should be noted that the steps described above should be with the engine NOT running!

You said you measured between the battery negative post and the engine and read 12 volts. This would indicate that the negative terminal of the battery is not properly connected to the frame of the bike. Check the negative battery cable connection points, both on the battery and where it connects to the frame. Measure voltage between the negative battery terminal and the point on the frame where the negative battery cable connects to it. If you're still seeing voltage there, your negative battery cable may have failed (they can corrode and fail inside the sheath, which you can't see).

CrazyLeggz

Postby CrazyLeggz » Wed May 20, 2015 2:03 pm

I did continuity check on the yellow wires and all had continunuty, Started the bike and checked for voltage coming to RR two yellow wires read 54 something the third read 1.4 Im going to go with alternator .there used to be a thread that told where a crankshaft pulley could be found other than poorboy as Im on a tight budget and may need to use junkyard help. already have other ideas and will show them later. Pulley and pulley bolt are needed IE place or what to look for.
Grounded Battery and got the correct reading.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”