Brake Master Cylinders

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
cheeper
Motorcycle: 1985 Honda GL 1200 Limited Edition

Brake Master Cylinders

Postby cheeper » Fri May 29, 2015 6:42 pm

I replaced the front brake master cylinder and then the rear lost pressure. Are the two connected?

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Brake Master Cylinders

Postby oldishwinger » Fri May 29, 2015 10:10 pm

the short answer is no they are not connected, but if you bled the wrong caliper, that will cause drop of pressure inn the rear. The rear brake and right hand front are linked to the rear master cylinder, the left front caliper is linked to the front brake lever.

cheeper

Postby cheeper » Sat May 30, 2015 7:08 pm

I am sure that is what happened. They guy I let do it cracked the rhf caliper bleeder and let air into that system. I am guessing the Honda Engineers in Their infinite wisdom did this for the less experienced riders to help the front to rear ratio of braking. Thank you, this saves me from replacing the rear master (even though it still might be bad).

oldishwinger

Postby oldishwinger » Sat May 30, 2015 8:29 pm

I have not ever heard of a rear brake master cylinder being bad, I suppose it can happen, but its more than likely, that air is now in the system.

Bleed the front calliper first, then the rear.

The linked brake system isn't for everyone, some folks even convert them, personally I don't have an issue at all,I think they work real good at pulling the bike up, and even at slow speeds using the rear brake only, both wheels are applying brakes. I can personally say they don't seem to lock willingly either, I have on a couple of occasions at speed had to really brake extremely hard, to a point I'm waiting for the lock up but no lock up happened.

I'm not saying they wont lock, but it does seem to me anyway, it takes a awful lot of pressure to do so.

cheeper

Postby cheeper » Sat May 30, 2015 8:52 pm

I agree with you, it seemed very odd the rear lost pressure right after replacing the front. I have the Honda Shop manual with the supplement manual being it is a limited edition. I have rode various bikes for 40 years and this is the first I have heard of brakes being tied together. I have been lucky enough not to need to lock up the brakes. I had one time that if I had not slowed up because of the pick up on my right hand side was slowing without signaling I would have T-Boned a small car. The GL's are heavy bikes and that weight plants the tires better. You have to ride like you are invisible really.

oldishwinger

Postby oldishwinger » Sat May 30, 2015 9:19 pm

the ltd is a great bike, all the best I'm sure its just a matter of bleeding and it will be fine.

The linked brakes are very easy to get used too, one thing, though at very slow speeds (car parks, lights, etc) applying both brakes will give the bike a tendency to ride straight on, not a bad thing, but for a bit better balance etc, apply rear brake only.

cheeper

Postby cheeper » Sun May 31, 2015 11:31 am

I am sure it will be fine. Thank you for your help.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”