Cost to paint

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
GrimReaper86
Motorcycle: 1986. GL1200A Aspencade

Cost to paint

Postby GrimReaper86 » Sun May 31, 2015 6:45 pm

Now that the 86 Aspy is mechanically sound, thoughts have turned to cosemtics. The paint is in bad shape. So, does anyone have an idea what I should pay someone to paint. I already have the cost of the paint itself, but if I get quoted a price for labor, I have no idea if it would be reasonable or not. Any suggestions would help.

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Re: Cost to paint

Postby rzaugg » Sun May 31, 2015 10:26 pm

I never really got a solid quote when I was considering mine getting completely repainted, but one thing my friend was firm on, was the more of it you do, the less it's gonna be. Every body part on the bike is not too bad to remove. The hard part is finding a good place for all the hardware while it is apart and remembering where they go. All the masking and all is pretty easy also. The fairing wiring harness can stay in there. If all they have to do is spray it, I wouldn't figure it would take more than a couple of hours max. This would change if you want multiple colors or something real fancy, but that's up to you. Also depends on what their shop labor rate is. Mine was going to be a winter project.

ggcasey
Motorcycle: 1986 GL120sei

Re: Cost to paint

Postby ggcasey » Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:41 pm

I paint my own. Used to use two stage paint but too much sanding. You can use tractor supply implement paint{less than 2 quarts} if you do not mind a deep shine. Harbour freight has a gravity feed spray gun for about 20.00 cost me all togeather about a 100.00 and 10 hours of sanding,doing a little of fiber glassing on crack and spit places.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”