87 Interstate directional switch


Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Post Reply
Grizly
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:23 am
Location: Louisiana,Mo
Motorcycle: 83 Aspencade
87interstate
86 interstate trike
80 pouch
81 fz 50

87 Interstate directional switch

Post by Grizly » Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:14 am



I have cleaned the switch and am wondering if I need to put some kind of grease to protect the metal from getting dirty??? I cleaned the switch because my directionals were both flashing at the same time... I have LED's in that circuit...

Grizly



User avatar
CMReynolds1
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:56 pm
Location: Oregon
Motorcycle: 2013 F6B

Post by CMReynolds1 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 8:32 am

I would recommend not putting anything in there. If you put dielectric grease or contact cleaner they leave a slight residue. This residue picks up dirt/dust easier than if nothing was there. If you cleaned the contacts and the switch, this will last a while. Maybe once a year clean it again or wait until it acts up again. Anyway, food for thought!
Attachments




Ride Safe,
Taz


TF 116, RivRon 512, Can Tho, S. Vietnam, 8/66-/9/68, GM(G)2

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 18226
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re:

Post by WingAdmin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:22 pm

CMReynolds1 wrote:I would recommend not putting anything in there. If you put dielectric grease or contact cleaner they leave a slight residue. This residue picks up dirt/dust easier than if nothing was there. If you cleaned the contacts and the switch, this will last a while. Maybe once a year clean it again or wait until it acts up again. Anyway, food for thought!
Right - for switches, just clean it with the best non-residue, plastic-safe contact cleaner (I recommend CRC) you can find, then put it back together.

Dielectric grease is used to prevent oxidation. It itself is an insulator (hence the name dielectric). And in switches, it will definitely pick up grit and dust, and cause future problems.

The correct way to use dielectric grease is in connectors, where the connector is pressed together, then dielectric grease is injected to seal the contacts against oxidation. But for switches, no.

Post Reply