Wobble at low speed


Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
cfoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 am
Location: andover ny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Wobble at low speed

Postby cfoth » Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:57 pm



I got my 1986 goldwing SEi running today and went for first ride. Starting out it would wobble like a high speed shake at around 20 it didn't wobble but a slight shake of the bars and it would wobble again. Feels like frame flexing I find nothing loose in the front end or rear end. The frame looks excellent however when on the center stand the rear wheel is still on the ground. I even had the exhaust totally off when changing the starter and looked underneath no sign of rust anywhere. I never went over 30 cause I was afraid it would wobble and I would lose control. I weigh 250 # and the auto level would set the front to 13psi and the rear to 60 psi



User avatar
FM-USA
Posts: 2000
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 8:40 am
Location: USA-ILL-60085
Motorcycle: .
'91 GL1500-I (Dbl-Darkside)
Acquired:__51K_Jun_??/2007
MADE_IT!_200K_Oct_17/2016
iRide 24/365 99% SmileMiles
================
"You don't buy yourself a
HD to be SATISFIED,...
you buy it to keep your
HD friends PACIFIED."
================
|
ANTAGONISTS need not post.
|
==================

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby FM-USA » Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:28 pm

More than likely it's the steering bearings.
With the front UP in the air, sitting on the bike and vary the speed in moving the bars right/left. Do you feel a slight bump in a consistent spot?

Mine did the same thing as yours. After installing new bearings with proper torquing of the nut, it's all better now.
;)
"OIL CHANGE?" _FM 07-2009
Know its new taste and be loyal, you'll know when to change that oil.
Taste testing as the miles flow, souring as that acid grows.
And don't flirt with dirt or darkened oil, all the faster your engine will spoil.

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH and Oceanside, CA (N San Diego)
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby newday777 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:59 am

Along with steering head bearings, how old are your tires, are they cupped and what air pressure do you have in them?

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:14 am

Read the beginning of How to repack and tighten your steering head bearings, it has a picture and video showing the checking of steering head bearings.

cfoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 am
Location: andover ny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby cfoth » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:12 am

Thanks all. This is a project bike and I've been concentrating on getting it running properly. I didn't do any more than glance at the tires. Front tire was at 22# rear at 53# I filled Front to 32 and reduced back to 40. Rear tread is barely legal Front about 50% or slightly less. Setting air pressures did wonders. Next step is new tires but I want to make it run properly first. New pulse gens on the way as heating with hair dryer caused open circuit. However I have let it run a long time and the cover on pulse gens was very hot bike still ran but not well. Anyhow thanks for the replies and I apologize for not doing a search before posting question. New to the net and my son had to show me lol

User avatar
HawkeyeGL1200
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Courtland, Va.
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:22 am

I was going to say "look at yer tires" but someone beat me to it. Tires, wheels, wheel bearings, fork tubes, steering head bearings, swing arm, alignment of tires, air pressure, weight distribution (bags, trunk), fork brace tightness.. the list goes on...

A soft front will definitely cause trouble. I don't know how much air you run in the fork tubes, but the closer I get mine to (max) 6 psi, the less the front end wants to wander.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

User avatar
newday777
Posts: 507
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:21 pm
Location: Milford NH and Oceanside, CA (N San Diego)
Motorcycle: 2008 Cabernet Red. Level 4

1983 GL1100A Wineberry to sell 36,000 miles

1999A Restored and sold at 19,000 miles

1999SE Totaled by cager at 105,000 miles

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby newday777 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Many run 40-42 front, 42-44 rear for best response for the tires.

User avatar
HawkeyeGL1200
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Courtland, Va.
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:22 pm

newday777 wrote:Many run 40-42 front, 42-44 rear for best response for the tires.

yup... I've settled on 42/42 for this set of tires and it seems to do the trick. For two-up riding I add a little air to the rear shocks and that seems to compensate for the added weight of my passenger.

I'm also a little OCD about checking tire pressure... like every few days.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

cfoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 am
Location: andover ny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby cfoth » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:59 am

Thanks guys.
Next question. On center stand both tires are on the ground still. I have laid on the ground, looked closely and even pinged and prodded with a screwdriver and the frame shows no sign of rust. After purchasing bike I heard , or read somewhere, that I'd the rear tire isn't off the ground then the frame is rotted. I even had the exhaust off changing the starter and totally removed exhaust to look for rusted frame after hearing this. Should I be concerned, if so what and where s should I be looking?

User avatar
HawkeyeGL1200
Posts: 918
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2014 11:53 am
Location: Courtland, Va.
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:22 am

I would look at the center stand to ensure it's sound... also I'd be looking at the rear tire size to be sure someone hasn't installed the wrong size tire... and then at the rear shocks to see if they're modified in some way that would push the tail end downward enough to keep the tire on the ground with the center stand in use... other than those three things, I'm out of ideas..

cfoth wrote:Thanks guys.
Next question. On center stand both tires are on the ground still. I have laid on the ground, looked closely and even pinged and prodded with a screwdriver and the frame shows no sign of rust. After purchasing bike I heard , or read somewhere, that I'd the rear tire isn't off the ground then the frame is rotted. I even had the exhaust off changing the starter and totally removed exhaust to look for rusted frame after hearing this. Should I be concerned, if so what and where s should I be looking?
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

cfoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 am
Location: andover ny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby cfoth » Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:39 am

HawkeyeGL1200 wrote:I would look at the center stand to ensure it's sound... also I'd be looking at the rear tire size to be sure someone hasn't installed the wrong size tire... and then at the rear shocks to see if they're modified in some way that would push the tail end downward enough to keep the tire on the ground with the center stand in use... other than those three things, I'm out of ideas..

cfoth wrote:Thanks guys.
Next question. On center stand both tires are on the ground still. I have laid on the ground, looked closely and even pinged and prodded with a screwdriver and the frame shows no sign of rust. After purchasing bike I heard , or read somewhere, that I'd the rear tire isn't off the ground then the frame is rotted. I even had the exhaust off changing the starter and totally removed exhaust to look for rusted frame after hearing this. Should I be concerned, if so what and where s should I be looking?



So this is an issue and beds to be addressed before I put any more money into the bike

User avatar
WingAdmin
Site Admin
Posts: 17046
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:16 pm
Location: Strongsville, OH
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:50 am

Also check to see if the centerstand is original OEM equipment. There was a ride-off stand sold for the GL1200 that lowered the bike so that the rear tire would touch the ground, the idea being that you could put the bike in gear and "ride it off" the center stand.

cfoth
Posts: 23
Joined: Wed May 27, 2015 5:41 am
Location: andover ny
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade SEI

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby cfoth » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:11 pm

WingAdmin wrote:Also check to see if the centerstand is original OEM equipment. There was a ride-off stand sold for the GL1200 that lowered the bike so that the rear tire would touch the ground, the idea being that you could put the bike in gear and "ride it off" the center stand.

What would I look for to tell the difference? I'm feeling allot better now and going this is the case

User avatar
julimike54
Posts: 226
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:21 pm
Location: Euless, Texas
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200A original owner
2016 HD FLTRU

Re: Wobble at low speed

Postby julimike54 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:58 am

Look to see if rear shocks were changed out to Progressive shocks. When Progressive shocks were installed (depending on air psi) they will allow rear tire to touch ground, just barely. I use a 1/2" piece of plywood under center stand when I want tire higher.


Image
Riding anything is a good day!
Mike


Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”




Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest