1985 LTD still not charging

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
WilwaY
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

1985 LTD still not charging

Postby WilwaY » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:10 pm

I know this topic has been beat to death but my gl1200 LTD is not charging the battery. I have spent hours on this site and have tried to implement the advice given. When the engine is running the volts read 11.3. The battery is brand new and fully charged, I have replaced the dog bone fuses, the wire connectors have been cut out and the wires soldered, the reg/rec tests good and the stator also tests good. Still not charging. Any help is appresiated.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: 1985 LTD still not charging

Postby virgilmobile » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:14 pm

Start the bike,measure from the battery ground post....with the engine at 2-3k rpm..
What does your DVM show at these points...
Battery positive post.
Both big red wires at the regulator module
Small black wire at the regulator module.
The green wire at the regulator module.
And odd as this sounds...the frame...
Next piece of information...
With the DVM set to measure AC volts.....engine at 2-3 k...and the regulator unplugged.
Select any 2 of the 3 yellow wires on the harness...
Attach your meter leads to two of them...do not use a meter lead on the battery ground...only direct to any 2 yellow wires.
What's the voltage..I'm expecting somewhere from 25 to 75 volts depending on rpm..
Measure the other wire...Test is wire a and b then..b and c...then a and c...The should all measure close to the same volts at the same rpm.
This system is very basic...The stator puts out a lot of AC power on 3 joined ungrounded wires,the module turns this into a charging system with its internal diodes and shunt regulator.It relies only on a ground, switched 12 volts and a battery connection to get it to work.
Ya gotta have a good regulator ground and a "get it going" wire...the switched 12 volt black wire.
Inspect the regulator plug for corrosion and the regulator ground lug at the frame.

WilwaY
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 LTD

Postby WilwaY » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:05 pm

Thanks virgilmobile, I appreciate your knowledge and willingness to help. However, you and many others on this site have forgotten more about electronics/electricity than I will ever possess so please bear with my ignorance(I am trying to learn).
Referencing your reply, what am I measuring from the battery ground post to the other points; voltage, amps or ohms?
When I did the stator voltage test, AC voltage at approximately 1700 rpm(not able to get it to idle any lower right now) is 43 volts between all three yellow wire combinations and 84 volts between all three yellow wire combos at approximately 3500 rpm. Keep in mind this is the fuel injected model and has a higher stator output than the other GL1200's. The resistance between each of the three yellow wire combos is .4 ohms and the resistance from each yellow wire to ground is infinite.
You mentioned "a good regulator ground"; where is the regulator ground lug at the frame and which wire is the ground wire coming out of the regulator? I have a wiring diagram for the bike but it does not help me with the location of components on the actual machine.
Since all my reg/rec diodes test good forward and reverse and my stator tests good, could the problem be the "get it going" switched 12 volt black wire? Is there any reason this wire has to be switched? Is there a problem connecting that wire directly to the positive side of the battery?
Thank you.

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:37 pm

You will be measuring for DC voltage at this point.The yellow wires sound like there putting out plenty of electric.
The green wires on the regulator module go to a ground lug.i believe its close to the module.Even behind it possibly.
The switched 12 volts on the small black wire is the regulator sense wire.If left hooked to the battery,it will discharge it in a couple of days.It is required to get the module to regulate properly.
When I pulled the module plug on mine,there was copious amounts of corrosion.So much that I opted to hard wire it direct.
Do the first DVM test at the battery negative post and check the volts on these 5 wires,...
2 big red
2 big green
1 black with a tracer (I think its white) it's the only black one there.
I'm suspecting that you'll find volts on the green wires.They are suppose to be battery ground.Some will even "augment" these wires and add 2 new ones to another frame lug.
We're hoping that the battery ground lug at the frame has also been removed and scraped clean too.

sportsfreaked
Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Postby sportsfreaked » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:03 pm

This may have no effect on the problem I am just throwing it out there. Up front on the left hand side under the false tank are two connectors. One has 4 or 5 wires and other has like 8 or something. They each have a yellow wire. The smaller of the two connectors was totally fried. I had to cut and solder that together. I then took apart the larger connector and what do you know the yellow wire on that was fried as well. You may want to check that out to see if that helps. The connectors are right on top of the left hand side and should be in a bracket type thing. I wish I would have taken pictures of that but I didn't think of it till NOW :oops: .

Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!
Ed

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”