Gas bubbling or boiling

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
wcorson322
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 limited edition

Gas bubbling or boiling

Postby wcorson322 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:46 pm

Hello all,
I am a newbie on here. lots of great info has helped me alot. just did a poorboy install on a
85 GL1200L. that was an expericence,,,lol but here is my question I went for a ride today temp about 87 degrees out.cooling system full and working great. but I kept getting gas fume smell thought perhaps I had a leak. pulled over to check it over and nada. opened the fuel door and my cap was farting (well that what I was calling it) so I slowly opened it had pressure on it not alot but I think is supposed to have some pressure but not 100% sure. anyway looked in the fuel tank and it was bubbling or boiling idk. scared the heck out of me felt like I might have a big bomb between my legs. never saw that happen on a bike before and I am new to goldwings. oh when I went to restart it is bogged and sputter would not pull out. have not checked it yet letting her cool down. any ideas and sorry i got long winded there. :shock:

Aussie81Interstate
Motorcycle: 1982 CX500 Turbo (restoration project)
1981 GL1100 Interstate (sold)
1988 GL1500

Re: Gas bubbling or boiling

Postby Aussie81Interstate » Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:32 pm

Have not heard of fuel bubbling before, have had an issue of building up bit of pressure and a slight whoosh on opening the fuel cap.

I would be a little concerned if it continued.

If the motor is overheting I suppose it could radiate heat back to the fuel tank - but surely not enough to make the fuel boil ?

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:47 pm

Gas will boil at as low as 120 degrees F. The boiling temperature changes throughout the year - winter gas has a lower boiling temperature, whereas the formulation of gas used in summer will normally not start boiling until around 160 degrees F.

This temperature also changes with pressure and altitude - lower temperatures for higher elevations. Basically the higher the pressure, the higher the temperature at which the boiling starts. This is the concept behind what makes a pressure cooker work.

Your tank was under pressure, and the fuel inside it was hot. Because the pressure was high inside the tank, the fuel was likely not at its boiling point. You opened the gas cap and released all the pressure, effectively and instantly lowering the boiling point of the fuel inside, so it began boiling, as you observed.

It's not anything to be worried about, and it is normal - just physics at work. Put the cap back on, the boiling will continue until the pressure builds up in the tank again, and then the boiling will stop.

wcorson322
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 limited edition

Postby wcorson322 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:19 pm

Thanks I just heard that from a mechanic this morning he said goldwings are sealed with so many covers at low speeds it will get hot in there and start to vent from the cap like it is supposed to that is why i was smelling it and don't worry about blowing up lol he said there is no enough oxygen in the tank to do so. Also to open the cap slow when refilling a hot bike or it could shoot out of the cap. Well guess I learned something new. But still not happy with gas fume smell and a hot engine between my legs lol again thanks for ur help

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”