Keep blowing a fuses on starter rely

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Whisky
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
2002 Honda VTX 1800 Retro

Keep blowing a fuses on starter rely

Postby Whisky » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:39 pm

Hey all, I just did a major overhaul on a 1984 Goldwing Aspencade. Here is all I did. new statert=, clutch, pulsar shaft, rebuilt starter with new brushes, new stereo and speakers and minni amp. new coils, new starter rely, new plugs, new rectifier, new gaskets thru out. new gel battery.new thermostat. temperature sending unit. The reason I mentioned ever thing except the tires and new bearing and brakes is. I put it all back together tonight. first off I keep getting a netural light on the dash. then my kid tried to turn it over and we got a blown fuse on the starter rely. no spark or anything. I am kind of at a lost. I suspected I would get something happen after all that I replaced. any master mechanic out there with a idea for me to check first? Looking for guidance, Whisky

tom84std
Motorcycle: '84 STD 1200
2002 VTX1800
2007 Shadow 750
69 BSA Bitsa
2004 Virago
VW Trike

Re: Keep blowing a fuses on starter rely

Postby tom84std » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:39 am

That fuse right by the starter relay is the main fuse. Once blown, everything should be completely dead. It should be the largest fuse in the system (30 Amp.).
It'll take a major short somewhere in the main line.
Does it blow with the key switch off?
If it does, there's a short to ground, probably in the large red wire going from the fuse to the key switch.
If it blows only AFTER you turn the key on, there's probably a wire pinched somewhere else. Between the switch and the fuse buss. Fuel pump relay power wire. Part of the start circuit.
Replace the fuse. Watch it. Turn on the keyswitch and take note of exactly when it blows and exactly what's being switched when it blows. For testing purposes it wouldn't hurt to use a smaller amperage fuse if you can. Like a 20 instead of a 30.

Whisky

Postby Whisky » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks for the help. I spent the day by elimination of wire ring harnesses. I finally found that the new starter rely I put in was wired backwards. I hope anyone who buys a replacement reads this. I hate to have them spend the day searching. Look at the starter rely and see if it is the same as the old one. Thanks for the help.

T-Rat
Motorcycle: 1983 GL1100a & 2000 Sportster 1200

Postby T-Rat » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:40 pm

I had one wired backwards as well.....took me a while to figure out what was going on. I just removed the wires and rewired the plug so it would be correct and that took care of it!

Whisky

Postby Whisky » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:38 pm

Well I got most of the bike back together. I am running into a major problem. Since I took out the engine to replace the stator. I did some other things to it. All that I could possible do since it was out. Issue one is that I hook up everything and I am getting over 4 volts thru the stator wires it is not charging the battery. I went thru a lot of stuff trying to figure out the problem and the question I have is. I have a little two prong diode that has no continuity in it. Could this be my problem. I also changed out the voltage regulator ie rectifier. Both are heating up to 160 F. so is that too hot for one. is it kicking out power to it and causing it to heat up. If anyone has an idea let me know. I also have a problem with the fan not kicking on. I installed new thermostat, heat sending unit. I also check the fan to see if it work using a battery and it did. I was balancing my carbs and it overheated twice on me. One note. When I took the bike apart it did not have a thermostat in it. If need be I can take it back out again. When I had the bike apart I notice it had the newer water pump in it. so I did not replace it. So, my number one concern now is the charging problem. One other note. I did replace the starter relay and I also had to rewire it since it was bass akwards. Thanks everyone for any input. Whisky.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”