Things I learned while cleaning my carbs

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 Interstate

Things I learned while cleaning my carbs

Postby phoenixtubs » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:56 am

Having just pulled and cleaned the carbs on an 85 Interstate, I thought I would share what I learned along the way. I did not do a complete tear down, but a pretty thorough cleaning. I did not separate the carbs, and it was obvious from the fact that the idle mixture screws were exposed that the carbs had been cleaned or rebuilt at least once before.

A little background:

The bike had been sitting for almost two years, and when we got it started, gas was flowing out of the air vent tube between carbs two and four. I suspected a stuck float valve and decided to try to use Seafoam and prayer to get it unstuck. Unfortunately, neither one seemed to work in this case. So it was on to pulling carbs and looking for help. I'm a fairly mechanical guy in his 50's who started working on cars when I was old enough to hold a flashlight for my Dad whenever he was trying to get a car started on the street out in front of the house. Basically whatever we had to do to keep our cars running. I haven't gotten my hands dirty too often since my 20's, but I was getting prices of around $500.00 to fix this problem. I figured I had nothing to lose.

What I learned:
1. Join this forum.
2. Start here: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10147
3. Consider purchasing this repair guide: ... pair-guide it helped me a lot and it has good pics.
4. Take pictures as you go along.
5. Ask questions.
6. This project is doable!

Thanks to the forum again, and hopefully this will pay it forward in some way.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”