no charging and fan on radiator does not work.

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Whisky
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
2002 Honda VTX 1800 Retro

no charging and fan on radiator does not work.

Postby Whisky » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:17 pm

Hi all. I finally got the 1984 Honda Aspencade together. I had a few problems but work thru them. Here is my latest one. I installed a new stator. and a new starter rely and voltage regulator. I am getting power out of my stator but nothing as far as a charge to my battery. The voltage regulator seemed very warm to I check the temperature and it was at 165 F. What converts the ac to dc? I know my stator is giving out juice. it is brand new and I checked it. I did have to rewire the starter rely since it was wired backwards. but it starts fine. Any one have a idea what I can check or what it might be? Thanks for any help, Whisky

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Re: no charging and fan on radiator does not work.

Postby virgilmobile » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:21 pm

The charging system has only 2 parts..The stator puts out 3 phase AC on 3 wires with no ground connection..This is fed into the Rectifier/regulator module...The 3 yellow stator wires connect directly to 6 internal diodes...Half of them are ground,the other half are positive...Because your module reaches 160 degrees,I would guess that the regulator thinks that the battery is charged and is "shunting"excess power to ground...This part sounds just fine....The output or positive connection leaving the regulator module is on 2 big red wires...Partway down in the harness,there bonded together into just one red wire..It shows up at the start solenoid...There's another red wire there too..It feeds the ignition switch...If you look at the original start solenoid,there's a jumper bar at the bottom of the connectors...When plugged in,It connects the 2 big red wires together....
Now...I suspect that with the key off,you would find no volts on the regulator red wires...The 2 red wires at the start solenoid can be bonded together and attached to the battery with a 30 amp fuse...

Whisky

Postby Whisky » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:16 pm

thanks for the info. I replaced the starter rely. I did find one non continuity diode. it was a small two prong one. Since I have not found any replacement on ebay. I was thinking of cutting the whole diode off and replacing it with a similar one. This one said 2500 volts/ watts. not sure. I left the bike at the house but I believed it was watts. Could that be the problems? Thanks so far for the help. My kid is a mechanic and I can see if he had gotten me a new one. I will have it checked. So the that is not too hot for the regulator? or is it just discharging energy because it thinks it is charging?

virgilmobile
Motorcycle: 1988 GL1500 I
Previously owned
78 GL1000
81 GL1100
82 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 I
83 GL1100 standard
84 GL 1200 I

Postby virgilmobile » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:26 am

The 2 prong diode may be the start diode.warm regulator is good.Measure the volts on its red wires and compare to the battery volts.

Whisky

Postby Whisky » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:39 pm

Ok I will let my kid know. Thanks for the help.

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Postby SilverDave » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:20 am

The fan is easy to check if you have tiny hands... otherwise you might have to loosen the rad a bit. The fan off-on switch is a temp sensor thermal switch. using a jumper wire should put 12 volts to the fan, and it should come on. These fans last 30 years and thousands of hours, and rarely fail.
If its not working , its usually the temp sensor ( which gets corroded, and usually jams, usually open )
or.... its in the wiring which gets very brittle from heat and age.
The thermal switch can be easily cleaned ... or replaced . I had to cut out about 8 inches of my wiring before I got back to good , non-britle wire.
Both chores are a lot easier to do if the rad is completely off.

-----------------------------------------
The rect/reg does get " warm " when its working ... but there are too many variables in your problem
There is on this site, and elsewhere a 3-part test of the stator , best done when the stator is cut free from the entire system, before you hard solder it .
Here is one :
http://iwing.org/Tech%20info/testingstator.htm

....and in your manual, another test for the Reg/rect .
Do both !!

Unless your stator has been " cooking" the three-yellow-wire-plug for many months, then usually these components are not the problem

The wiring and connectors at both the reg/rect and the stator are usually also old and brittle, and you should also cut them back till you get to good wire, then hard solder them( and shrink wrap them ) . .... both at the stator yellow's and at the red/green/black at the rect/reg.

---------------------------------------

The easiest way to replace all these iffy connectors on a 1200 is to spend $50 and get a harness from Electrical Connections .

http://electricalconnection.com/index.p ... uct_id=165

After you test both the Stator ( 3 parts ) and the Rect/reg installation of this harness will sorta force you to remove all the trouble spots.

I did this a dozen years ago, and I've had no stator trouble since.

SilverDave

Whisky

Postby Whisky » Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:16 pm

Yeah I did the 3 yellow wires. soldered and shrink wrapped. But I think you are right that the wires somewhere is bad. I also think so with the fan. I installed a new temp sensor. I left the bike back at the house and will be back there in July to resume where I left off. I worked until the last minute on it before I had to head back to North Dakota to work. Thank for the help. I have gotten some good advise so far and I think I will get this one licked.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”