1986 aspencade trailer hitch

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Jimidee
Motorcycle: 1986 Aspencade

1986 aspencade trailer hitch

Postby Jimidee » Tue Jun 23, 2015 4:59 pm

Just purchased a 86 aspencade with it the gave me a slide in trailer hitch with no ball said he lost it, where the ball goes there othing but 3/4" or so stud that the bail slips down and pins to it with probably a cotter pin. dose anyone know where I could get a ball for it. Might save me from buying a whole hitch kit. Thanks in advance :D

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: 1986 aspencade trailer hitch

Postby WingAdmin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:27 pm

Jimidee wrote:Just purchased a 86 aspencade with it the gave me a slide in trailer hitch with no ball said he lost it, where the ball goes there othing but 3/4" or so stud that the bail slips down and pins to it with probably a cotter pin. dose anyone know where I could get a ball for it. Might save me from buying a whole hitch kit. Thanks in advance :D

Usually there is a square piece on the ball mount that slides into the receiver, and the ball itself has a large threaded portion. The ball is held in place on the ball mount with a lock washer and a big nut:

The ball mount itself normally has a rise or drop, depending on the height of the trailer tongue in comparison to the bike, so that when the trailer is linked to the motorcycle, the trailer tongue is level. The ball is sized depending on the trailer coupler.

These can be bought pretty much anywhere - even Wal-Mart has them. Tractor Supply Co., if you have one near you, always has an excellent selection.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”