New tires

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

New tires

Postby SilverDave » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:26 pm

( I am aware that starting a tire thread is only a little better than starting an oil thread )

The Tire wholesaler near me can get Michelin Commanders for my 1200 at a very good price .
( Much better than Honda, even with a GWRRA discount )

He talked me out of Metzler 880's because of issues his company has had with Brazilian made Metz's , and more or less convinced me that I should switch from Dunlops to Michelins .

I've used Dunlop E-2 /E-3 for the last 14 years , and I really liked the handling, and wear life.

I have found no reviews on Michelin Commanders on an older wing, (yet)

My questions :
a) Are Michelin Commanders as good as he is telling me ? Or is this "Snake Oil" ?

b) Has anyone seen a review of Commanders on a heavier bike like a GL1200 ?

c) How will they fare with mileage, traction, cornering, etc ?

and finally :

d) Only the Front Dunlop is worn. Is it "safe " and "legal" to replace just the front with a Commander , and leave the Dunlop bias on the rear till it wears down a bit more ?

Thanks for any input,

Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Interstate
1981 GL1100 Interstate

Re: New tires

Postby HawkeyeGL1200 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Just curious as to the load rating on the tires he's trying to sell you. The E-3 (rear) I just took off my 1200 was a "77" rated tire... which is the highest rated tire I've ever seen (not that my surprise means much) and I installed Kenda Kruz 673 (front and rear) which seem to be wearing very well for me.

Unless they can give you a compelling reason to switch, I'd stay with what you like and have experience with. He may be getting a special promotional bonus for pushing those tires, or he may have your best interest at heart. It's hard to know what motivates people.

I did manage 17,000 miles out of that E-3, which is by far the most miles I've ever run a rear motorcycle tire... hoping to get 10K or more out of the Kenda, which seems doable based on how it's wearing...

Sorry I can't give personal experience with the others you're looking into.
I am wrong as often as I am right concerning what is wrong with someone else' motorcycle without having seen the machine in person. Guessing with limited information, as to the source of the trouble, is sketchy at best.

Motorcycle: 1981 Honda Goldwing Interstate GL1100I
1985 Honda Goldwing Limited Edition gl1200

Re: New tires

Postby sportsfreaked » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:56 pm

All I can say is that you're a brave man starting this thread :lol: . Tires are tires are tires IMO. People always have their preference as t what they like based on what they are use to. I purchased a set of tires for my 1100 and they are Shinko tires. The reviews are great and they didn't cost me an arm and leg. SO far I am very pleased with them. Some will say they are junk or they are cheap or they are great. All I can say is that for front and rear I paid like $125.00 total with free shipping.
Thanks to all who answer and help. It is greatly appreciated!

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”