do i need a rectifier?

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda GL1200 Aspencade
2002 Honda VTX 1800 Retro

do i need a rectifier?

Postby Whisky » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:00 pm

I have a short inside of my motor on my 84 Goldwing aspencade after I pulled the motor and change out the stator. I do not want to do it again. so, my question for the wingers is. The bad stator fired my rectifier and since I am installing a alternator now, do I need to install a new one, since my power will come from the alternator and be the correct voltage instead of having to be transformed to the correct voltage. And be going directly to my battery. If anyone knows let educate me. If I don't have to have it, I don't want to have to buy another one. Thanks all for your help so far. I will have my bike running along before summer is over.

Motorcycle: 1997 GL1500 Spectre Red Aspencade

Re: do i need a rectifier?

Postby redial » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:26 pm

An alternator produces alternating current (AC), and your battery produces direct current (DC). To get the electricity to your battery, it needs to be changed to the DC, and that is what a rectifier does to keep you happy. There are two major parts to an alternator, the carcass is called the stator (because it does not move and is therefore static), and the rotor, which is the part that spins.

However, some alternators have the rectifier built-in. So find out if this is the case with your new alternator. And keep smiling.
Len in Kapunda

The world is not going to finish today, as it is already tomorrow in Australia and New Zealand, and other islands of foreign nations such as Guam and Samoa.

Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Re: do i need a rectifier?

Postby WingAdmin » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:56 am

I'm not sure how a stator fault can kill a rectifier/regulator - it may just be coincidence.

In any case, you have nothing to worry about. Every alternator has a regulator/rectifier built into it. They have to, because they require an internal regulator in order to regulate the field current it uses to generate power. You will be able to completely disconnect your failed existing regulator/rectifier, and hook up your new alternator in its place.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”