Is it my Clutch

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
tommyp6382
Motorcycle: 1984 Honda Goldwing 1200 Aspencade

Is it my Clutch

Postby tommyp6382 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:15 pm

I recently purchased a 84 Wing. The bike has 55k miles on it. The previous owner had it for 10 years and had put 7K miles on it. The last 3 years the bike sat in his garage. Since I have taken it on I have changed the oil, top off the coolant, filled the tires to the correct air pressure and bled the clutch.
The problem I am having with the bike is after it warms up. It runs like a sewing machine. But after it comes to temp, the clutch whines out around 3k on the tack and climes to 5k without accelerating with the tack. Can someone give me an idea of what I'm looking at?http://goldwingdocs.com/forum/posting.php?mode=post&f=5#

oldishwinger
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade

Re: Is it my Clutch

Postby oldishwinger » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:27 pm

it would be worth I think checking the clutch master cylinder on the handle bars, replace the oil with dot 4, bleed it and see if the problem persists from there.

oldishwinger

Postby oldishwinger » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:30 pm

ooops sorry didnt read your post properly, I see you have bled the clutch, my opologies

oldishwinger

Postby oldishwinger » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:35 pm

I guess would need to eliminate all possibilities before deciding the clutch itself is at fault, put a kit in the master cylinder, and replace the slave cylinder.

tommyp6382

Postby tommyp6382 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:10 am

Thanks mate. I stopped by a local GW meeting yesterday. I asked the riders about my scenario. I hate to say but, the consensus is, the clutch plates are worn out. My son and I rode her home. We got to where we were 4 blocks away and the clutch wouldn't even engage into gear. I waited for the bike to cool down and went and drove her home. Looks like she's gonna hafta be wrenched on.
Tommy P

skier
Motorcycle: 1987 GL1200I 124k
2009 Honda Silverwing 14k -- the wife's scooter

Postby skier » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:25 pm

That's very low miles to have worn out clutch plates, unless the plates are slipping from incorrect motor oil being used in the past.

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Sun Jul 12, 2015 1:38 pm

What type of oil did you put in when you made the change? I would try and run some seafoam in the oil and let it clean the clutch plates before trying to take the motor out. Make sure to use a non friction oil when you change it out.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

tommyp6382

Postby tommyp6382 » Sun Jul 12, 2015 2:26 pm

My brother-n-law was under the same idea of lack of miles. Prior to the oil change the clutch was acting that way.When I did the oil change, I used Castrol PowerRS SAE 10W-40 Full Synthetic.
I appreciate the thought of the use of seafoam, but I warned that seafoam could clean it too much. I understand that it's to be used for a short period and to be dumped.
I really am unsure of the mechanical history of the bike. My fear is, that the 30 some odd years and the lack of use my be the reason for the clutch to act the way it is.
Believe me, I'm a firm believer of seafoam. I love the product and use it in alot of my things, This, is one thing it won't fix

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:09 pm

Have you flushed the hydraulic system completely?
Bled it at the slave cylinder?
When you got the bike how was the fluid level in the clutch reservoir?
The plates may be sticking from sitting?
Now the P.O. could have been running the wrong oil and ruined the fiber disks.
The oil you are using may be leading to your problem also. Please read below.
Castrol Power RS Racing with Trizone Technology is a full synthetic 4-stroke motorcycle oil designed to ensure maximum power and performance, even under the most demanding riding conditions. Its anti-friction formulation is proven to increase acceleration compared to conventional motorcycle oils.

Goldwing clutches do not like oils that are energy conserving or have friction reducers.
The Seafoam used in the correct 'dosage' will clean the engine, clutch and trans. It will even clear out crud from the hydraulic tappets.
Someone suggested rebuilding the master cylinder and replacing the slave cylinder (you can also rebuild it) too.
Start with the simple stuff first, make sure the return orifice in the master cylinder isn't blocked when you rebuild it.
DOT 3 AND 4 collects moisture and will collect at the lowest point in the system, this being the slave cylinder.
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

tommyp6382

Postby tommyp6382 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:57 am

I did bleed the clutch. The fluid was somewhat low but after I bled it, I made sure that the level up. It does look as I have used the wrong oil from what you and others have told me. The only thing I know to do is to take it to someone that works on these for a living. First of all , I don't want to throw good money after bad and there is the safety factor. After my ride the other day, she didn't even make it home. I was able to walk to the house. I don't want to get stranded. I do appreciate the input from everyone. I hope to get it in a shop soon and see you other Wingers out on the road. Until then, I'll be on my F4i. Keep er black on black guys and gals

HALBUDD
Motorcycle: 1984 gl1200a&1985GL1200A & 1996 gl 1500 aspy. us army 74-77

Postby HALBUDD » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:49 am

PM sent hope this will help you.
A woman that can use tools is worth her weight in gold !!

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:51 am

Castrol PowerRS SAE 10W-40 Full Synthetic oil is intended for motorcycles, and will run fine (and is intended for) wet clutches, so I don't think using that oil has damaged your clutch.

A slipping clutch can be caused by a couple of problems:

- Worn clutch plates, as you mentioned
- A clutch that is being held in slightly

The second instance is sometimes caused by a blocked return port in the master cylinder (same as can happen with the brake systems). It is fairly simple to diagnose - ride the bike until it is warm, and is starting to exhibit the slipping clutch problem. Then open the bleeder valve on the clutch slave cylinder. If you get a sudden squirt of fluid that comes out, it's likely that this is your problem.

Normally when you release the clutch lever, the clutch spring pushes the slave cylinder piston in, which pushes the hydraulic fluid up the clutch line, through the master cylinder, and into the reservoir. If the tiny return port in the master cylinder gets blocked (even partially), this doesn't happen, and the clutch stays partially clutched even when you release the lever.

WingAdmin
Site Admin
Motorcycle: 2000 GL1500 SE
1982 GL1100A Aspencade (sold)
1989 PC800 (wife's!)
1998 XV250 Virago (sold)
2007 Aspen Sentry Trailer

Postby WingAdmin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:03 pm

Have a read through these topics of people who had the same problem with their GL1200's:

viewtopic.php?t=11385

viewtopic.php?t=26143

viewtopic.php?t=7399

tommyp6382

Postby tommyp6382 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:43 pm

Great advice. I'll read the threads and see if I can't get some helping hands for this one. You guys are like brothers from different mothers. I'll keep y'all posted .
Tommy P

plumbermullins
Motorcycle: 82 standard w/vetter & kg bags
77gl1000 standard

Postby plumbermullins » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:53 pm

I used to use castrol car oil in my 1000 until the friction enhancers started to show what the do cluch slippage under acceleration or load. took a few oil changes to get rid of the enhancers effects on the plates but all seemed good the last time I rode it. try the seafoam and a couple of oil changes if all else fails before teardown.

plumbermullins
Motorcycle: 82 standard w/vetter & kg bags
77gl1000 standard

Postby plumbermullins » Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:10 pm

I looked online the oil you used appears to be good has JASO MA-2 rating and wet clutch ok.
Here's the like for the oil http://www.castrol.com/en_us/united-sta ... ng-4t.html try to clean the plates with seafoam first not knowing what the po used.

trike lady
Motorcycle: 1993 GL1500 Aspencade with Voyager (Sold)
1983 GL650I SilverWing Interstate

Postby trike lady » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:43 pm

If you have Kevlar clutch frictions discs you can use this oil with no problem as Kevlar is tougher than standard fiber discs.
I believe if you check the owners manual for the Goldwing you will see it states not to use oils with friction reducers and energy conserving.
This oil may work well in high revving sport-bike engines. JMHO,YMMV
I.M.B.B.A. Technician II Certified

tommyp6382

Postby tommyp6382 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:28 pm

Alright fellow GWers, here's the latest. After I went to a GW chapter meeting the other day, along with the info I have gotten from this site, I feel as though I'm starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I have gotten hooked up with a vetran Winger. I told em what I was going threw, and came over to help me out. Carroll came over last night a little after 7 and had me together by 10. I bled the cluth from the bleeder on the lower left hand side, then bled it from the banjo fitting, and bled it from the lower right hand side where there was a nut fitting. I have found out how valuable it is to have someone with knowledge of these bike truely is. I did see a small amount of air to show up in the three different bleedings. I'll be takin er out tonight to see if our hard work has paid off. What I have learned in this process is, how priceless the information that can be gained from this site and how passionate this community is about their bike. If I were to advise someone on this subject matter, I would have to tell the to use this forum and look to see is a GW is present in your area.I hope I can help someone in the future.
I'll follow up after my test ride tonght.
Tommy P
Special thank to you Carroll, you truely have Goldwings

jamie f
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade, 1982 GS 850L,,wife's bike, 1981 GS1100E,sold,,Latest addition 1994 GL 1500 Aspencade.

Postby jamie f » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:04 pm

Hello again everyone.I'm in need of some advice on my 86 Aspy GL 1200,has 56 k on it.Every once in awhile the clutch engages slowly then all at once grabs.Usually when up shifting,almost always into 4th gear which i find very strange that it's just that gear.In addition,most of the time when shifting into 3rd gear it seems harsher than all other gears on engagement,and has a louder than other gears whine noise.Is this a candidate for some Seafoam treatment and how much to put in and for how long?Thanks, Jamie

tommyp6382

Postby tommyp6382 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Tommy P checkin in once again. Well I've changed the timing belts along with the coolant on my 84 GW. I've purchased new clutch plates for the bike and I'll be getting new tires here soon. Once I get my next pay checK, I'll take it to someone who works on these things.
I understand the mileage isn't that high for the plates to be bad, but without knowing the history of the bike, I don't know what else to do. I do take er out for short trips. I'm looking forward to the day to where I can get on er and not hafta worry about left on the roadside.
I'll check back in you guys and gals once she comes out of the shop. Until then boyz, keep er black on black.
Tommy P

tommyp8263
Motorcycle: 1200 Aspencade

Postby tommyp8263 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:57 pm

Ok GWers, I'm back with the final result. I finally found someone that knew what was up with my bike. There were those who had an idea but no one hit the nail on the head until the mechanic at Magnum Motors in Louisville Ky. It turns out that it wasn't the clutch at all. It was the clutch master cylinder in needs to be rebuilt. I want to thank everyone for the help along the way. I hope to see you guys out there.
Just remember...Keep it black on black.
Tommy P 84 1200 Aspencade

rzaugg
Motorcycle: 1984 GL1200 Aspencade
1989 GL1500 Aspencade

Postby rzaugg » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:18 pm

The way it sounds to me, the Master Cylinder didn't need rebuilt. Although it won't hurt a thing and you would have wanted to take it apart anyway. Bear with me. In the brake and clutch cylinders there is a very tiny hole that serves the purpose of returning fluid to the reservoir. If that hole is blocked, which is very easy to do, as the fluid warms up down at the back of the engine, it has no where to expand to. Thus pushing the slave cylinder and partially releasing your clutch. I had the same problem with the front brakes on my wife's 84. Brakes worked fine when applied and released before a ride. Ride for about 2 miles and bike seemed like it was losing power. In reality the hand brake was being applied, because of the drag, it heated up even more, which applied the brakes even more, etc. etc. I used a torch tip cleaner to unplug the hole, compressed air wouldn't do it. This particular bike had sat around for a couple of years also

alexw
Motorcycle: 1994 Goldwing 1500 SE

Postby alexw » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:43 pm

I wanted to post my recent experience with a clutch that would not disengage in hopes it will enlighten readers. I have a 1996 GL1500 with 60,000 miles. One day the clutch stopped working as if it were stuck open. I did allot of research and finally took it to a very reputable shop, this shop specializes in working on Goldwings and also builds Goldwing Trikes. They have been around for decades and are family owned & operated with a outstanding reputation. They suspected it was due to the use of Synthetic oil which the bike has used since new (Mobile 1). After tearing into it the clutch, they found that the plates were fried, a total replacement is required. I saw the plates myself so I know it to be fact. According to them, unless you use synthetic oil specifically for motorcycles, it will damage your clutch over time. As you can see, it took 60K miles for the problem to surface but it finally did. They advocate using conventional motorcycle oil but again caution that if you use synthetic oil (I used Mobile 1, 10-40) make sure it's for motorcycles. I hope this bit of information helps someone out there or prevents a problem from occurring. I have several other cycles and I'll be changing to Mobile 1 for motorcycles.

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”