GL1200 A front shock clamps

Information and questions on GL1200 Goldwings (1984-1987)
  • Sponsored Links
SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

GL1200 A front shock clamps

Postby SilverDave » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:20 pm

I am trying to remove my Aspy front shocks for re-building . They are held in place with 6mm allen keyed bolts, on clamps, in a very confined space. There are 3 bolts per shock , one on top, and a double on the lower clamp.
They are "supposed " to be tightened at around 15 ft-lbs. Ha !

I have only gotten one of the 6 bolts loose. I put in a short stubby allen key , with a short extender pipe, and it actually feels like I about to twist the allen key off at the neck .

Any suggestions for breaking these %#$@^ bolts loose ??

My riding buddy says,
" Remove the top fairing and then we can attack these stubborn bolts with a long breaker bar, penetrating oil, impact air tools, and possibly heat."

Good grief !!

Has anyone who actually has removed these clamp bolts got any other suggestions ??

SilverDave

jamie f
Motorcycle: 1986 GL1200 Aspencade, 1982 GS 850L,,wife's bike, 1981 GS1100E,sold,,Latest addition 1994 GL 1500 Aspencade.

Re: GL1200 A front shock clamps

Postby jamie f » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:01 pm

hey silverdave.when i did my front fork seals i used a 3/8 drive socket allen combo.they seemed tight also but when they broke loose i could turn them by hand.was a tight fit but i have a slim head ratchet and turned the handlebars just right for clearance.hope this helps and good luck.Jamie

SilverDave
Motorcycle: 1985 GL1200 GoldWing Aspy

Re: GL1200 A front shock clamps

Postby SilverDave » Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:21 pm

Well I am now 2 hours older and at least a year older...

I bought a "stubby" allen key set ( only a 1/2 inch neck ) and with a 2 foot pipe , as a breaker bar , I managed to get all 6 bolts loosened .

Each bolt made 4 loud ticks before they moved by hand , even with the breaker bar. and each one took about 15 minutes , because of the confined spaces. I guess the steel had welded itself to the aluminum, over the decades.

There is no way they were set to anything like 16 ft-lbs . I'd guess closer to 80 ft lbs.

Clearly installed by a gorilla of some sort ... or with red locktite !

And I had to take a bit of wood and a hammer to tap on the top to lower the shocks the first 2 inches.

But they are out !!! Hooray !!

Thanks for all the advice .
SilverDave

Return to “GL1200 Information & Questions”